What have you canned or preserved today?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, now that you ask:
I have found that tissue culture techniques are excellent for starting hard to germinate seeds. The top photo, taken a few weeks ago, is of a Bougainvillea seed in vitro. The seeds planted in soil have not done anything, while the one started in protocol is now potted and in the greenhouse, as seen in the bottom photo.

jackb

Bougainvilleainvitro_zpsbffbfedd.jpg
[/URL]

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Food Bank was giving away cases of food services sized bags of shred cabbage. I've got 3 bags now fermenting in a crock. But I've always got the problem of how to weigh down the cabbage as the opening of the glass crock is smaller than the jar itself. I cleaned some large rocks and put them in there.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, great idea! My glass crock pot has a sealing lid - that is, its got a rubber gasket. I'm hesitant to use it, and right now have it covered with cheesecloth.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We just had our annual Salsa Party--"Salsa Party 2014: Game of Pirates!!!"--and, as usual DH made outSTANDING chili (all gone), I bought and made 3 Gallo jugs of Sangria, with oranges and lemons cut and crushed in the punch bowl (ALmost all gone), and my neighbors and co-pirates made salsa from my tomatoes, ancho problanos and other stuff. They made a whole bunch of it bc they kept tasting tomatoes and wanted more of the other. I THINK they added cilantro, but I KNOW that they added garlic. OMGOSH was it good, AND I processed almost 3 quarts, in 1/2 pints for...ya know...Later. :love

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had my own little salsa party over the weekend and got 9 pints. Last night at the Cracked Pots I opened one up so they could taste it. Everyone agreed that it was very good. I guess they weren't trying to spare my feelings because when I went in to clean up later the jar was empty. I mean EMPTY. Even the last of the juice was gone.. :)

Ducks - sounds like yall has a GREAT time!!! What is the 'Game of Pirates' part???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My neighbors told me 5 years ago that they made the best salsa. I was growing ingredients, so I suggested that we invite people over for an October party, and to enjoy the wood I stack to burn in the middle of my 3 acre north (horse) pasture.
We had a LOT of guests, and it's become an annual thing. A couple of years ago DD's made me a beautiful Pirate costume coat, so I always go as a Pirate, hence THIS year's theme. MY party, MY theme. =b
DD's have 15 years of costuming and Anime conventions under their belt, and we have a costume contest, too. DD made a small wooden chest into 1st prize. She covered the metal, sprayed it black and then sprayed Rustoleum purple glitter spray on top. Second prize was a mirror that we had gotten in a gauze bag. 3rd prize was a glowstick hatchet.
We always have chili, Sangria and Salsa, and they DO make the best salsa I've ever tasted. Everybody else brings some food, too, kinda like a potluck.
Because we want everyone to enjoy themselves, INCLUDING drinking alcohol, we decided at one point to offer sleeping over as part of the party. 8 people spent Saturday night and stayed for bacon and blueberry pancakes the next morning. 3rd year we switched the dates to Columbus Day weekend bc most of us still get that Monday off.
There, you have it! Next year it will be, "Salsa Party V: Paper Moon." It's our 5th anniversary, so it's paper, ya know.

Latest posts