What I'm working with

zanygal89

Sprout
Reaction score
Here is a couple of panoramic photos of my backyard fence line. As you can see the Morning Glory's have been really busy. In fact when we moved in a couple years ago, there was only a small bunch. They've even taken over on the west fence, and in what was supposed to be the garden area(Pic 2). Wrapping themselves around almost all of the weeds. Which happen to be very woody and sturdy already. Not the ones I'm used to. We've been a bit neglectful of the garden due to unforseen circumstances, but I've been going out as much as possible to try to clear the area, which will now be our new chicken area. Any tool recommendations to remove these weeds would be greatly appreciated! 

Attachments

• 20230801_135747.jpg
    20230801_135747.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230801_135852.jpg
    20230801_135852.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 63

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a perennial "bindweed" with underground rhizomes?

It looks even more aggressive than what we have here and I find that very difficult to deal with. What I have tried to do is to not walk past it without taking some sort of action to remove it, even if that is only on the soil surface. In a raised bed situation, I have put a stop to it by covering the soil with a weed barrier for several years before it was removed. Those raised beds covered an area of only about 12' by 20'.

In larger gardening areas, carrying a dandelion digger helps with removing the roots. However, it is back year after year and, if not obviously growing from a root, they show up as seedlings with the seeds apparently spread by birds. Additionally, I have read that the seeds stay viable in the soil for decades. The seedlings are easy to pull if they of a young age.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a couple of panoramic photos of my backyard fence line. As you can see the Morning Glory's have been really busy. In fact when we moved in a couple years ago, there was only a small bunch. They've even taken over on the west fence, and in what was supposed to be the garden area(Pic 2). Wrapping themselves around almost all of the weeds. Which happen to be very woody and sturdy already. Not the ones I'm used to. We've been a bit neglectful of the garden due to unforseen circumstances, but I've been going out as much as possible to try to clear the area, which will now be our new chicken area. Any tool recommendations to remove these weeds would be greatly appreciated! 
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if they are the domesticated Morning Glories then i would say to build the coop around the fence and let the chickens eat them for the next 10 years. cut down any hard stemmed taller weeds you'd like them to remove and keep under control.

my experience is that they'll keep coming back for years later once they've had a chance to drop seeds.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bindweed has gone crazy here this summer from all the rain. One good thing about life in northern New England is that winter kills all our vines. Oklahoma is a pretty warm state, so you may not benefit from a winter kill-off unfortunately. I have bindweed all over the trelliswork in the back yard and amur peppervine climbing a utility pole nearly to the transformer at the top. I should go out and pull these down, but other tasks have taken precedence. If weeds are too deeply established to simply pull, I've found cutting with a weed whacker or brush cutter or brush shears to be the most effective tactic. Digging them out is an exercise in futility. Good luck. Hopefully chickens will aid in your battle, as others have suggested.