What interesting creatures live in your garden?

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The day before my husband had his motorcycle accident, we watched a doe give birth to twins in the empty field next to our yard- she was no more than about 40-50 feet away, and yesterday a fork-horn buck in velvet was resting near the fence of my garden. I didn't see it, but a cougar was in our neighborhood earlier this year.

We have a small flock of about 30 quail that come through regularly-- they like the brush pile which helps them hide from predators like the hawks(of all kinds- kestrels, red tails, coopers, marsh, peregrine... I can't remember them all) and bald eagles. We also have ravens, swallows, owls (barn, screech, hoot, horned and great horned), wild turkeys, canadian honkers, cormorants, pelicans, and I saw a kingfisher once in the empty field.

Every year for the last 3 years we've had a pair of red headed woodpeckers raise a family in one of our apple trees. This year, a chickadee family decided to use one of their old holes.

We've also seen jackrabbits and cottontails, red and grey fox, bats, a porcupine once, and huge numbers of birds visit our feeders: crossbills, blue jays, evening and black-headed grosbeaks, purple finches and goldfinches, doves, and even an occasional tricolored blackbird (endangered) as well as the more common red wing and european blackbird.

Our half acre is right next to the Klamath River, in the foothills of the Cascades...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@britesea You must live in a BEAUTIFUL corner of the country. I see you joined yesterday! SO ....:frowand :welcome good to have you here. (And jumping right into the fun.) :)

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@Smart Red, Boy howdy! it's been hot! 104 today on our front porch... I can barely keep ahead of the watering, and I have to replenish the water for the ducks several times a day. They've decided it's to hot to even hunt flies... they just sit in the shade and pant.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi do you have any problems with monkeys?
Sorry, @Nyboy I didn't get notifiers for a few days last week and I missed this post. We don't have monkeys where we currently live, but we did have a lot of them at our previous home. Amazingly they left the garden alone, but I think that is because the dogs kept them at bay.

Latest posts