What interesting creatures live in your garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That snake looks pink! My DD7 will get a kick out of that. She wants a corn snake for her birthday. They come in 70-some different colors and patterns. I hope you're isn't venomous. The head doesn't look like it anyway. I can't imagine having to keep an eye out for Black Mambas. :hide We only have two venomous snakes in our region and their habits are very predictable. I've heard people swear they've seen cottonmouths here, but the DNR says we don't have them.

I've seen maps that show I am not in the range of cottonmouths either. I've only killed two here.

@goatgurl My brother-in-law caught a black bear on video robbing his trash can. When he spoke to a state ranger at a nearby state park, the ranger told him the reason they deny them being around is that people will hunt them down and shoot them. I wonder if that is the same with mountain lions.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as they aren't a problem, live and let live. Except poisoness snakes-take them out.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We found this mighty mouse in our flat 2 days ago. It was just too darn cute to kill, so we snapped a few quick pics and released it outside

DSC05608.JPG

DSC05610.JPG
DSC05604.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No such thing as too cute to kill when it is damaging property. Yours doesn't look a bit dangerous, but watch out! Relocating seldom works.

I saw a pair of Partridge along the roadside near here yesterday. I haven't seen any of those for at least a dozen years and was excited to see they are still around.

Also saw an Eastern Screech owl Saturday morning flying over the chicken coop and a barn owl flitting across the road early Sunday morning. I hear an owl in the woods out back, but seldom have I seen it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but that looks more like a field mouse or dormouse than a house mouse (it's a little light in color for that) so letting it go outside probably poses no risk. It could even be an immature South African four striped mouse (if the stripes don't show up until it grows up) which I think are actually vulnerable.

Latest posts