what is a peck?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen a peck basket and they are about the same size as a KFC bucket or a large flower pot. Does that help? I'll have to ask my Mom what she uses to measure that amount but I think we used about 15 large hot banana peppers, give or take a few!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I can probably guesstimate off of that. I know how it is to eyeball stuff and then try to explain it to someone, but thats definitely close enough. I will give it a whirl.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've seen a peck basket and they are about the same size as a KFC bucket or a large flower pot. Does that help? I'll have to ask my Mom what she uses to measure that amount but I think we used about 15 large hot banana peppers, give or take a few!
This is the best discription I have heard. 2 gallons make a peck if that helps. When all else failed I called dad. He's an old farmer. He laughed when I asked him about it. Said I should know. Told him I did but was having trouble explaining.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't mind giving it up ...you can adjust this recipe for

larger batches if you like.

Hot Pepper Butter

1 peck of hot banana peppers, the red or orange ones make for a more attractive spread (we add jalapenos for a different flavor at times....distinct and good!)

1 qt. yellow mustard

3 lbs brown sugar (can use less if desired but may affect the final result...this spread does NOT taste sweet, btw!)

1 qt. apple cider vinegar

3 Tbs. salt

Grind peppers, along with seeds. Blend all ingredients into large pot, boil for approx. 15 min.

Prepare corn starch thickener using 6 heaping Tbs. of corn starch and cool water. Pour slowly into pepper mixture, stirring well, until desired thickness.

Makes 9 1/2 pints. Can as usual, not necessary to use pressure cooker. Refrigerate after opening, is a good keeper.

My mother now grinds her peppers in the Vitamix and this makes for a more smooth, attractive spread. Also makes it a little quicker.

I use this for a lot of my recipes like chili, dips, soups and stews, as well as for my sandwiches. But then, I like it spicey! You can also adjust the mildness/hotness factor by using sweet banana peppers for the bulk of the peppers and add only a few hot ones.

Hope you like it, folks! When canned into pints or jelly jars, makes a wonderful gift basket filler!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....He leadeth me beside still waters, He maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

I copied for you off of the thread Beekissed posted it on.
enjoy!

Latest posts