What Is Important To You In a Stove ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't trust oven after the fire, it is a Maytag glass top self clean electric stove. I love how clean glass top is. What is on your wish list for a new stove ? Any brands to stay away from?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like easy to clean, even heating and economical...and a good price. We've always liked the Hotpoint brand, seems to hit all our goals.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
been happy with the ge stove that came with the house like bee said even heating, easy to get parts when something does stops working and fix yourself..

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For me buying a new electric range is getting just as bad as having to get a new vehicle, stressful to say the least. I have a whole list of things of must haves and must not haves made out for the next range, the only thing I've been pleased with in the last couple of ranges has been the glass tops, so easy to clean. Can't recommend a brand but some things to watch out for.

1.....The new fangled steam clean feature...as useless as ---- on a bull. I was talked into this, thought what a wonderful idea, not. I was so anxious to try it out I had only used the oven once, there was just a couple of spots which after the cleaning cycle twice didn't come off easily and you can't use a product like Easy-Off in these ovens $%%#&^%.

2....Make sure the control panel lights up, sooooo hard to see the numbering around the knobs, black on stainless steel is hard to see. I had to use a flashlight to make sure I'm turning in the right direction, it doesn't help that the highs and lows go in different directions, on different knobs, I had to stop and think which knob turns what on as the knobs for front and back are different from all the other ranges I've had. It's hard to get used to after the ranges I've had over the last 50 years were not built to trip you up. In frustration I took a big fat tipped felt pen and marked F's & B's for fronts and backs beside each knob, at least I don't have to stop and think any more.

3....Check where the vent for the oven is at the back, if your knobs are metal and the vent is situated over one of the elements you can give yourself a good burn on a lid handle if using that element when the ovens on.

4....I hate the way the heat fluctuates on and off in these new ranges, not a nice steady heat which you need for cooking certain things without burning the bejeezes out of them.

5....A must for me.....have a plug in for things like a toaster etc.

My next range if I should live so long will be very basic, they can keep their bells and whistles, Oven definitely not a steam clean, nor a self clean if they still make them, the last self clean I had after two uses the enamel started chipping off in the oven. I don't mind using Easy Off leaving it over night and wiping out in the morning. As I said a stressful time and the way they make them now they seem to self destruct after 5 years. My first electric stove in this house lasted for 21 years, wasn't a glass top but it was a self clean and didn't chip the enamel off, it had a rotisserie built in the oven and the oven door lifted off for easy cleaning, Ohhhh, if only I could get another like my old range I'd be in 7th heaven. There I feel so much better after a good rant :).
Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like this one
Northstar_Red_large.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My next range if I should live so long will be very basic, they can keep their bells and whistles,

That should have been in my list also. The more gadgets on a stove, the more things that can go wrong. I like a plain Jane model of stove and even tend to favor older stoves from back in the 60s,70s and such. All the new stuff is designed to fail earlier than the older ranges did so that you have to buy a new one....much like the cars nowadays.

Same with washers and dryers....won't buy a new one as they all have those annoying energy saving features that guarantee problems. I'll take an old Kenmore any day and twice on Sunday.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My next range won't be electric. I really don't like the smooth top electric I have. Like Annette said, the heat fluctuates terribly. And some of my favorite pots and pans are too warped to use on the flat surface.

Latest posts