What Is Important To You In a Stove ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

I like the looks of that one!

Glass tops don't appeal to me, mom had one and I didn't get along with it when we visited. But that's just me. And Annette is so right about the steam clean function, moms had that feature too.

I really like my gas stove which replaced the electric one that got stuck on self clean with the Thanksgiving turkey in it one year. Disaster was averted, but not before giving me a heart attack.

My current gas one is fairly simple, although now I think I would opt for dials for the oven instead of the digital push button.
The burners have knobs, so that's fine. The top has 3 grates that cover 5 burners, (one is a long oval, perfect for my cast iron griddle) so you can slide heavy pans right across the stove if you need to without picking them up to place on a different burner.

Pretty straight forward to clean the top, but after cleaning the inside of the oven door glass, wherein I had to take the door apart to get the inner glass clean, then had trouble getting it back together without ruining it, I would look for something better made for that purpose.
I don't think they plan on you cleaning the inner surface of the oven window though. Mine had ugly drips from me wiping down the exterior before realizing the water could run inside the door.

Sorry for the novela, I had an extra cup of coffee in town today...:confused:

I meant to add that mine was from the ding and dent store, so I couldn't be too picky.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
the trays around the burners are a pain to keep clean, glass top just wipe after each use

Mine doesn't have trays. Just a porcelain top with 3 grates covering the entire surface. I just pick the grates up and wipe it down. Lots easier than my old electric with individual burners and trays.

I like cooking with gas, it's very controllable. But you should probably stick with electric. ;)

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The main thing that's important to me about a stove is that restaurant it's in, the cooks know how to cook whatever it is that I order!!!!

Nyboy
The pic of the red stove looks like one of the vehicles in the movie Cars, just add head lights and a mouth.
Cartoon stove?

THANX RICH

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That should have been in my list also. The more gadgets on a stove, the more things that can go wrong. I like a plain Jane model of stove and even tend to favor older stoves from back in the 60s,70s and such. All the new stuff is designed to fail earlier than the older ranges did so that you have to buy a new one....much like the cars nowadays.

Same with washers and dryers....won't buy a new one as they all have those annoying energy saving features that guarantee problems. I'll take an old Kenmore any day and twice on Sunday.

@Beekissed my stove bought in 1965 was a GE and we had it for 21 years, the rotisserie gave up after 15 years but you think something like that would last that long now, I don't think so. I'm the same, I run things into the ground because I know whatever I replace it with won't last as long. I miss that old stove:hit.

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is ding and dent store ?

It's a store devoted to selling appliances with small "dings and dents".
Usually floor models that are sold below the market value because of a cosmetic defect. My stove has a dent in the side, but you can't see it because it slides between two cabinets.

Latest posts