What Is Important To You In a Stove ?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i inherited a HotPoint with the house. it's a gas stove & has been working nicely since we got the house. not sure how old it is but i won't complain. it has nobs for everything so i know it has to be over 10 years old & still in good shape-FIL probably didn't use it much.

i'd prefer the gas range with the nobs too. if you ever lost power it is easier to control the gas flow on the burners & you could manually light the burners to cook while power out. my mom's stove is gas but she realized couple years ago on Thanks Giving that she still needed power to keep the stove running since her's has electric controls. that was one of the BEST Thanks Giving dinners we've had via generator! had to use the grill outside for some of the other fixings to give her room.

Nyboy, i like the retro red range too! not much of a fan of red but if it comes in the other colors of the 'era' it looks to be from i'd take it! just needs to be a gas range.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't have a ding or dent store in NY. Wish we did makes good sense.

What? No dings or dents allowed in NY? Well you're just not trying hard enough Nyboy!

I was joking around with the guys at the appliance store when they were wheeling my stove out to my truck, I told them I didn't want to find any extra dents in my "damaged" stove. One of the guys said that for a certain fee he would make sure the make and model I really wanted ended up in their store. Kidding, of course.;)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, you may hear of a 'scratch & dent' sale on occasion at some stores. i think of a place i went to as a kid with my mom called Off Priced Outlet. they would have brand name items that they 'couldn't advertise' they had but would sell the 2nds or items that had blemishes, light damage from shipping or returned items.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the looks of that one!

Glass tops don't appeal to me, mom had one and I didn't get along with it when we visited. But that's just me. And Annette is so right about the steam clean function, moms had that feature too.

I really like my gas stove which replaced the electric one that got stuck on self clean with the Thanksgiving turkey in it one year. Disaster was averted, but not before giving me a heart attack.

My current gas one is fairly simple, although now I think I would opt for dials for the oven instead of the digital push button.
The burners have knobs, so that's fine. The top has 3 grates that cover 5 burners, (one is a long oval, perfect for my cast iron griddle) so you can slide heavy pans right across the stove if you need to without picking them up to place on a different burner.

Pretty straight forward to clean the top, but after cleaning the inside of the oven door glass, wherein I had to take the door apart to get the inner glass clean, then had trouble getting it back together without ruining it, I would look for something better made for that purpose.
I don't think they plan on you cleaning the inner surface of the oven window though. Mine had ugly drips from me wiping down the exterior before realizing the water could run inside the door.

Sorry for the novela, I had an extra cup of coffee in town today...:confused:

I meant to add that mine was from the ding and dent store, so I couldn't be too picky.
Now that sounds like one I would like to have! I do not like the electric range I have and HATED Mom's glass top! Too each their own.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gas or electric, doesn't matter that much to me. Both have their pros and cons. But I don't like all the whistles and bells on a stove. I SURE don't want a glass top! I hate the drip pans too, but oh well. I like a plain stove. Last I remembered, I could turn a knob and remember to take the food out when it got done, don't need a smart alec stove telling me what to do!

Latest posts