What is it we are afraid of?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
patty12 said:
Mitt Romney being elected president.
Nope its Obama being re-elected we should be scared about :lol: .
I pray for Obamas good health every day. Just think - President Joe Biden. I shudder at the thought. :th

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all the smart, good, forward thinking people out there, why do only nutcakes get to the point of being nominated?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What I'm scared of? Hmmm.... a few things....

1. Last night we watched an older movie (older to me, probably not to many of you) that came out in 85 with the kids. It was one that I enjoyed when I was younger and when it popped up on our Netflix streaming, we decided to watch it. The kids were AMAZED (like they always are) that the characters could just decide they didn't want to go home and stay out and play without telling their parents that they were going to be somewhere. (We make it an absolute point that they HAVE TO let us know if they are going to go anywhere) One of my fears is that one of my children will be taken. Especially my daughter because she doesn't know a stranger and would talk the ears off a wooden post.

2. What is happening to the state of our Union, and the state of the world. My husband is Native American. He grew up on a reservation in Northern MN. He has made up his mind that all of us need to learn how to use bow and arrows with relatively good accuracy. He's convinced that at some point in the near future that we are going to need the skill, and while learning to shoot with a gun is great, if SHTF, where will the bullets come from after a while? He is dead set on getting our debts paid off and buying a farm, and was even talking last night about how much space we would need to be able to grow our own grain for milling our own flower. Also, the majority of our income comes in the way of husbands VA Retirement. If they cut the funding for that, we are in jeopardy of losing our house, cars, and everything we own!

3. Not being well enough prepared for SHTF, or not be able to defend what we have after SHTF

I really think that's about it.... well... and mismatched socks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far I've survived Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Some have been better than others, but I can't think of any election where was old enough to remember where the world as we know it was not going to crash down on our heads if the other guy wins. So far, it hasn't. I really don't expect it to be any different this election cycle.

I don't lay awake at night worrying about what might happen. I've learned that what I worry about is usually not nearly as bad when you face up to it. Bad things are going to happen. Good things are going to happen. That's life. Deal with it.

Take reasonable precautions but don't obsess over something that might happen. It probably won't happen the way you expect it to and if it does happen, it's probably not nearly as bad as you feared. It's a fatalistic approach but I'm comfortable with it. I really don't need the drama in my life that some people seem to need.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nacho, I completely understand where your husband is coming from. I have done some napping using both the native chert and the native obsidian. My points are definitely more of the Neanderthal kind. My neighbor who I've known since the flintstones' Fred and Barney were just kids, is very excellent at knapping in several classic Native American styles. He's part Algonquin, of the part of the nation sent on the march to Oklahoma, but had been left near the Sioux.

The terrible things done to his great, and his great great and great great great grandparents, one generation after another was indeed a SHTF situation. Similar in my own family, but way back in the 1700's. For your husband, SHTF has happened a lot in his family's past, and I know he is prepared for more.

Certain trees make very straight wood for arrows. Ash around here. We are very lucky that we have Yew near here for bows, and, ha, in town there is Osage used as landscape. We are learning the different methods of laminating the two, and are finding lamination may not be needed. Yew sapwood and its hardwood are a naturally laminated wood when cut so both are on the same base strip, each with perfect characteristics of strength and spring.

But it is not just the hunting and defense. That is for Nakasita warrior, an important citizen. Gardening is the main food source. For SHTF situations, controlled and protected gardening becomes a vital Nakasita position. The weather may change drastically, and that is to be prepared for.

I don't really fear it, the SHTF situation, just be ready for it. It does make things interesting, doesn't it?

What part of it I fear is, WHERE WOULD MY COFFEE COME FROM??? He who grows coffee beans to trade will be the wealthy one! Lol! Same with Cantaloupes! See? When and if the SHTF, a well prepared gardener will be the wealthy one! Or, who can make the doritos chips and salsa with what they grow? The vegetable oil, the peanut butter or sunflower butter? The berry jellies and ice cream, who can keep cows alive for milk?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could we please have a forum that leaves out presidential debate? No one is going to change the mind of another in regard to this election. I would like to have one place where I can go and NOT read about the election.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Could we please have a forum that leaves out presidential debate? No one is going to change the mind of another in regard to this election. I would like to have one place where I can go and NOT read about the election.
I agree

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner expressed my original thought: "I really don't need the drama in my life. . ."

There are only some things that we need to be cautious and mindful of in life. Balancing neglect with fear - I don't think that's going to work.

Whether this mindset is reflected in our communities or our families, it's not going to work.

Steve

Latest posts