What is it we are afraid of?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
So far I've survived Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama. Some have been better than others, but I can't think of any election where was old enough to remember where the world as we know it was not going to crash down on our heads if the other guy wins. So far, it hasn't. I really don't expect it to be any different this election cycle.
That's what my mom said about the year I was born...everybody thought that was the end of things. Having a new baby to look after made it that much more nerve-wracking and depressing, I guess.

As far as SHTF, come what may, anything you have stored up...if it comes to that...you'd better hide it well or be prepared to shoot the people who come pounding on your door. That is why I don't prep. I only put back enough to buffer us if DH lost his job. Acquiring self-sufficient skills would be a smart thing to do though. Bows and arrows...like the Hunger Games, huh! Can you imagine if deer and rabbits became nearly extinct, after all this time that they've been a garden nuisance? Who knows, maybe even groundhog would sound tasty after awhile...

I don't like to talk politics either. I will go vote, but that mess doesn't make for good conversation. I don't put my hope in what any man or gov't can do for me anyway. :p

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is it we are afraid of? I have avoided this topic for a long time now. But maybe there will be a tiny bit of therapy to be found here.

Sometimes I think that the basis for many of our fears is "fear of each other". We tend to think that our world is a fearful place of late. But I contend that mankind has been a frightening creature since the beginning of history. Cain was a fearsome individual in Genesis. All throughout history "man" has been a source of fear. I often pray that someday I will understand why we are made this way.

Since my horrible experience in the 1968 Tet Offensive in Khe Sanh I have a lingering (however slight) fear of night. Every day at sundown my mind senses eminent danger. No amount of doctors can remove my memories.

I have a recurring dream once in a while where I'm sitting by a lovely stream in a lush warm jungle. I'm listening to the monkeys and the birds. A very young, naked, dirty boy or girl (I can never tell) runs frantically into view screaming in Vietnamese that he or she cannot find his or her father. My eyes focus on the brush in the background where the bloody body of the father lies. I usually wake up sobbing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
All of that would be difficult for a gardening friend as for anyone. We won't be able to fix it but it's good that you can share and have shared this with health professionals.

There should be no getting away from the sunshine, or the sunset. It can be a peaceful time of the day. Have you ever noticed the calming of the breeze as the sun sets? It happens so often . . .

And as we turn away from the sunlight, we begin to turn back towards it.

Steve

CheerfulSun.gif

Smiles

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that the brutality of war is still with you in your dreams. My Cambodian niece-in-law visited her homeland and it is now a beautiful peaceful place. Though not Vietnam her family is grateful everyday for the refugee camp that kept her parents safe and where she was born. Men like you gave her to my family along with the beautiful children that she and my wonderful nephew share. Thank-you.
Cathy
Smiles said:
What is it we are afraid of? I have avoided this topic for a long time now. But maybe there will be a tiny bit of therapy to be found here.

Sometimes I think that the basis for many of our fears is "fear of each other". We tend to think that our world is a fearful place of late. But I contend that mankind has been a frightening creature since the beginning of history. Cain was a fearsome individual in Genesis. All throughout history "man" has been a source of fear. I often pray that someday I will understand why we are made this way.

Since my horrible experience in the 1968 Tet Offensive in Khe Sanh I have a lingering (however slight) fear of night. Every day at sundown my mind senses eminent danger. No amount of doctors can remove my memories.

I have a recurring dream once in a while where I'm sitting by a lovely stream in a lush warm jungle. I'm listening to the monkeys and the birds. A very young, naked, dirty boy or girl (I can never tell) runs frantically into view screaming in Vietnamese that he or she cannot find his or her father. My eyes focus on the brush in the background where the bloody body of the father lies. I usually wake up sobbing.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What an interesting thread! And some truly fascinating posts as well. It's sure made me think. I'm not sure I'm "afraid" of anything in particular. There are lots of scenarios I can think of where I'd be scared to death but not having experienced them, I truly don't know how I would feel or react...I can only guess.

I am afraid of losing my DH/best friend/partner/soul mate...took me so long to find him that I treasure every moment we have together. I guess I'm most afraid of having to deal with the aftermath of a major catastrophe...if the "big one" comes or the Caldera blows, I'd rather go in the first "boom" than have to deal with what comes after. It might be different if I were young and healthy, but at this point in my life, I think it would just be misery and suffering, but again, depending on the circumstances, I might be okay and be in a position to help others, so...??? More thought required, methinks.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is quite a learning curve with "self sustaining" and the state of our land (meaning in general) would NOT sustain everyone. I think that the "city folk" that have no idea where their food really comes from would probably be some of the first ones to go. I also think that the first thing that would need to be done if SHTF is that all the GMO crops should be burned to the ground to prevent contaminating any of the non-GMO foods. Most of those aren't really edible anyways!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, I did mean learning those skills ahead of time.

ETA: Probably the first thing you'd need to know how to do would be finding and purifying drinking water. SHTF in other places today and throughout history. It would be presumptuous to to think it could never happen here. Like Mickey said, might be easier to go in the first boom. But it is in the human spirit to want to survive.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
. . . I also think that the first thing that would need to be done if SHTF is that all the GMO crops should be burned to the ground to prevent contaminating any of the non-GMO foods.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. But I'm finding that heirloom or open pollination seed sources for many veggies are in short supply. At least in short supply among seed swappers. I would love to get my hands on some good sweet corn heirloom seeds. Many of my resources for open sweet corn have been compromised by the GM stuff that is grown everywhere. The same is true for wheat, barley, and oats around here.

Latest posts