What is it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
CC90CDF1-B805-4E02-BF90-BDB0E7158478.jpeg
DD saw this in Washington. What is it. First thought was poison ivy or oak. Ours doesn’t put up stems like that.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. We don’t have those

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oops. That link to the USDA didn't work!

Well, you can search the name in search box.

It only shows the PNW and Michigan on the map.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
horsetail is the frondy stuff.

very annoying to get rid of manually.

look at the series of pics i have towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.anthive.com/project/tasks/

it was spread throughout that from that lower corner to almost halfway up (about half by area too). digging it out one tiny thread at a time with each segment or bit left behind being a possible source of a new plant.

it is still in that patch 8yrs later. i'm going to smother that corner and lower edge again this year...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horsetail likes wet ground, especially places that are wet all year. On my grandfather's rural property, there was a lot of it growing around springs, or near the river bank. It is very course, and can be useful as a pot scrubber if you are camping. Poisonous to horses, though.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horsetail likes wet ground, especially places that are wet all year. On my grandfather's rural property, there was a lot of it growing around springs, or near the river bank. It is very course, and can be useful as a pot scrubber if you are camping. Poisonous to horses, though.

it is one of the most primitive plants still around. we have it in several places here. very hard to get rid of once it gets going.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is one of the most primitive plants still around. we have it in several places here. very hard to get rid of once it gets going.
Along with the club mosses. There were two of those on GF's property as well, we called them "ground pine" and "ground cedar", because of their appearance. Those were on higher ground (usually in the leaf litter under oak trees) along with wild wintergreen.

GF passed away while I was deployed in the Service, and the property changed hands. Looking back, I have come to realize just how much diversity was present on his 280 acres. I was truly fortunate to have spent so much time there in my youth, and benefited from his knowledge of the woods.

Latest posts