What is on the list for spring?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So what is everyone going to be growing this spring?

I plan tomatoes, corn, green beans, peas, japanese squash, pumpkins, acorn squash, chinese brocoli, and zucchinis.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Spring... that seems so far away! :p

Cherry & a variety of regular tomatoes are always on the list, as is zucchini. I also love to plant bell peppers.

The best year I ever had was when I took the picture that is in my avatar:

garden14.jpg

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
So what is everyone going to be growing this spring?

I plan tomatoes, corn, green beans, peas, japanese squash, pumpkins, acorn squash, chinese brocoli, and zucchinis.
Much of the same, however, Our squash and brocoli will be plain ole American! :D

Nice pic Nifty!

Randy

PurpleChicken

Sprout
Reaction score
Nifty, my mouth is watering after looking at that pic. Nice.

The big thing on my list for spring is a plum tomato. One of my customers
gave me a tomato to seed. 25 years ago he traded bantum eggs for tomato
seeds and has grown this variety ever since. They are huge and tasty.

I've also been collecting hot pepper seeds from every garden I can. I'm
gonna plant hundreds of peppers instead of flowers.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well you know me :

I plant beans, peas, beans, peas, beans, peas, some squash, tomatoes, peas, beans, peas, beans, peas, and more beans and peas.

Smitty's Farm

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Believe it or not in the gardening industry it's not to early to think about spring. Most green houses have put their seed and plug orders in by Sept. This is the perfect time of year for landscape designers to do designs, so they are ready to go in the spring.

My garden is a mess. I was having to much fun with the chickens to do fall clean up, plus sometimes I like to watch the birds eat the seeds.

I'll probably plant the usual Tomatoes, green bean (Stringless pole beans), basil, might have to replace my rosemary if it doesn't make this winter, habanaro, serrono chili, moon flower, cypress vine, Red bell peppers, zucchini, squash, sunflowers .........I don't know yet........I'll have to think on it some more. Oh yea! Guords are a lot of fun to grow. I like to mix flowers, herbs and veggies.

MarkR

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice, Nifty!

I've still got lettuce, chard, spinach, and leeks in my garden right now, so it's a bit hard to think of spring. Plus, I just got my garlic in a couple of weeks ago, and started some more leeks and mache in the cold frame.

I'll probably do 3 or 4 varieties of tomatoes this year, tomatillos again (whether I want to or not, they're still sprouting, even after our recent frosts), radishes, lettuces, squashes (only I'm going to put these in later so I miss the borers this time), chard, beets, onions, eggplant, bunches of herbs, peppers (sweet and hot), cantelopes, ah, I forget what else. . .
either way, I'm hoping to do a major expansion in the spring. We've done a very intensively planted kitchen garden, but I have a nice piece of lawn that I'm tired of mowing. I've already covered it with newspaper and mulch to start the preparation.
My strawberry patch is finally getting to where I'm hoping for a big harvest next spring/summer and I have a good rhubarb patch to go with them. Why am I so hungry all of a sudden?

Mark

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm moving my veggie garden to the backyard after having it in the front yard for over 25 years - so I'm still planning things a bit. I grow all the usual suspects, along with lots of herbs and flowers. I really like growing potatoes, and this past season I bought a type of pole bean called Anneloni (I think), they were curly and absolutely delicious. I won't know exactly what types I'll be growing until I go through my seed catalogs come, the first one just arrived, Pinetree Garden Seeds, they're always first :)