What is the Best Starter Pot for Seedlings?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and buy peat pots, or, should I try to make my own out of newspaper? Which would be easier as far as replanting? Could I just put the whole pot in the ground for either of them?

I don't mind spending the extra money for the peat pots, but, at the same time, it would be nice to be able to use the newspaper for something useful.

Would the newspaper pots be able to hold up for the couple of weeks that I would need them?

Is there another option that I am not thinking of?

Thanks!!!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used newspaper pots, they are still being used and my first seeds were planted 3/9/09. They seem to hold up OK. That being said I will add, I do not like them and will not go to the trouble of making them again.
For the smaller plants I am now using bathroom size Dixie cups, they were real cheap at Dollar General. When I plant with the newspaper or the Dixie pots I intend to tear off the bottom of the cup/pot and plant the whole thing.
This is my first attempt at this way of doing things so I'll just have to see wait happens.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what kind you made, I don't have the talent to make the origami type, so, I would probably just make the ones where you roll them around a jar, and then tape it together.

The thing I would like about the peat pots, is that the roots could supposedly grow right through the pots. That would probably make it pretty idiot proof for me. :D

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
I don't know exactly what kind you made, I don't have the talent to make the origami type, so, I would probably just make the ones where you roll them around a jar, and then tape it together.

The thing I would like about the peat pots, is that the roots could supposedly grow right through the pots. That would probably make it pretty idiot proof for me. :D
Peat pots dont always let the roots out so you have to tear off the bottom and any of the pot that is above ground after planting...
I use soil blocks to start my seeds [check out Johnny's select seed catalog under tools and supplies for soil block maker information]

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in love with peat pots... I've screwed up with TP rolls and newpaper already. The peat pots all do well for me, and you can see the roots happily growing through the sides and out the bottom on mine.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm with vfem - I've had good luck with peat pots. I like that you can plant them directly into the soil, and how they aren't too expensive. I tried to make pots from toilet paper rolls, but the roll totally UNrolled after it got wet. :he I was going to use them as a lesson on planting seed for my after school group, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them together?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What about the jiffy pellets? I got a bunch real cheap, and decided that they were cheaper then the peat pots + soil.

They are smaller then I imagined, but I think as late in the year as it is, they will be fine. They are not much smaller then the 6 packs they sell flowers and veggies in at Walmart, and the plants wont be getting NEARLY that big.

Has anyone used them before? So far I really like them.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have used the pellets and found them to work very good. Be sure and follow their directions for moistening and there will be no problems. Where did you find these real cheap?
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought they were cheap anyway. :) I got them from Henry Fields or Gurneys, cant remember which. (Same thing, anyway..)

I bought just over $50 worth of stuff from each, so it was half off with the coupon. I bought 195 pellets, for $24. So it would have been $12. So far I have only used about 90 of them.

My friend was buying pots for about $3 for 24. So if you add soil, thats more then the pellets. And they were so much easier.

Latest posts