What Is The Easiest Berry You Grow ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee , yes I believe there are some thornless varieties of raspberries but I'm not familiar with which varieties. Tulameen doesn't have thorns, but prickles it does have, never found them to be a problem though. This variety has one of the biggest berries I've seen, flavor isn't too shabby either.
Annette
Thank You

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be careful which blackberry you get, ours have so many fish hook like thorns I call the =m the devil thorn plant. They get hold of your clothes or SKIN and there is no getting away without help. (I know from experience.) :( They do have thorn less out there I want to try - as we are digging out the thorny ones. Gave up on strawberries too. The grass took over.
I have the thornless and they are fantastic.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red raspberries are yuck, yuck, yuck.......nasty!!!!!!

Only black raspberries should be legal.

@Ridgerunner Not eating gooseberries raw was a very wise decision. Impressed by a southerner.....sorry, slipped out.....I'll go sit in corner.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
13 Surprising Benefits Of Indian Gooseberry Or Amla
The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-C content. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/indian-gooseberry-amla.html
13 Surprising Benefits Of Indian Gooseberry Or Amla
The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-C content. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/indian-gooseberry-amla.html
:idunno :caf

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The easiest berry I grow is a Thomson Seedless!
I've just pruned, the larger one is from a cutting that grew over the fence of our Church in Sacramento, California, the smaller is a vine wife brought homer, agree
Igetting on to shaping. I'll use the trellising you've shown, except I'll affix it to the building, there is a small trench running in front that carries gray water and there is a chipmunk type bum that lives around here that can climb the trellis if set into the ground.
I agree that the Thomson's seedless grape is very easy to maintain. Blueberry bushes are too.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm
Indian Gooseberries are a different fruit than the gooseberries we are talking about, and you can't grow those here (they're tropical, and a small tree to boot) The gooseberries you can grow here are more like (and related to) currants.

I really have no luck with ANY sort of berries beyond the "native" (and invasive) Japanese Wineberries all over the property. From my essays into growing others however I have learned one piece of info that might be of use to those of you who lost a low of strawberries to the birds. If you are doing alpine strawberries and you get one of the types with WHITE fruit, the birds will generally leave it alone. Why I don't know (my best guess is that they are going mostly by color and see the fruit as perpetually unripe, or with no red, they have trouble distinguishing it from the leaves. All I know is that red are devoured here, white are left totally alone. Would love to get my hands on some of those GREEN strawberries I have heard of (apparently, the European Fragraria vesca species can come with green fruit as well as red.)

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have strawberries and raspberries making a comeback that we planted last year

Latest posts