What Is The Easiest Fruit ?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sideways hijacking .... My son wants to replace his ancient apple trees on his small city lot (there was a Jonathan and a red delicious) He likes Sweet/tart, crisp and juicy. Something that may produce quickly. I remember Mary having to wait 4+ for her honey crisp to do anything. Suggestions please.
It wasn't me. My honey crisp is in a pot and only 2 years old. The first year it gave me 2 tiny apples.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
depending on what they are grafted to could affect how soon the fruit could bear. also, the scions can affect how quickly they bear. i had a chart some time back that gave me a list of what was compatible. last year i lost it when my hard drive crashed. i grafted my trees in 2013 to Bud9 rootstock. i've seen flowers on some of the trees the past 2 years but last summer i got 2 of those trees to give me some decent fruit. i have apples on the other side of the property that were planted the same year but were purchased & they gave some small apples. so it seems 3-4 years is a good average for grafting till production.

pear trees can take 3-6 years from grafting. i'll be doing a few of these this year. some new to me varieties & some of the ones i have on the property. it took 3 years for my pears to start producing fruit.

if chip or bud grafting onto larger trees this shouldn't take as long to bear. i haven't done these methods yet so not sure how soon it takes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It wasn't till a couple of years ago I realized I wasn't eating ripe pears. They have to sit awhile after picking. Now they get so sweet and juicy it is like eating candy

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
pick them when they are still hard. store in a paper bag for a couple weeks in the fridge & then give them a try. or, you could get some Asian pears that you can just pick & eat! they don't store well though

Latest posts