What is the oldest home-canned food you personally have eaten?

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm curious to find out the length of time that home-canned food is still safe to eat. I've eaten things that I've personally canned that were three years old and they were fine. If it pops when you open it and it smells and looks good, eat it. I wonder if the "one year" time period is just a liability safety net for those that give directions on canning. What are your thoughts on this?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
One or two years, I wouldn't even think about - if the seal was good and all looked good. However, you cannot see or taste botulism, so there really could be some risk. Even airborne it can be dangerous (as in when you are dumping it into the garbage...) If it was jelly or jam- I would worry a lot less, than beans or sauce.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still eating bread and butter pickles from 4 years ago. Made so many! They're still yummy too. My dad eats home canned goods that are positively ancient. Things found in the cellar after my grandpa died. He won't let anything go to waste. I can't vouch for him though. ;)

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have quart jars of canned pears that are going to be 3 years old this fall, I'm still eating them...

MelaniePalmero

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of food that you preserved, but, yeah, I agree with Lesa. Around 1 to 2 years at most, especially if they are only canned in the home without preservatives. I may feel safer with jams and pickles, but if they are meat or fish, I might back out. If you're planning to do a bit of home canning, it's important that you know the do's and don'ts of home canning so you will be sure that the food is really preserved and not spoiled.

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have eaten green beans that my MIL canned that were 3 or 4 years old and they tasted great. She only cans them with water and salt.

Latest posts