What is the value of tree

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My house is sporadically surrounded by trees. They are in the front and back yards at weird spots. I could not imaging that they are there on purpose. They don't seem like they are in locations where they block sunlight for energy saving purposes (Which is what i think trees are for). Most of the trees are a Chinese crested tree (something like that) or a sweet gum found at home depot for shade. I know the Chinese is considered an invasive species here in Louisiana.

So to be honest, I don't like them. I would either love shade trees that could block the sun from my house to help with the energy bills or some fruit trees.

But I wondered about what happens to trees roots if I have them cut down? Can I then plant a fruit tree in between the downed trees roots?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You would have to up the root too if you want to plant something that will get large. I was told many taller trees can have root systems that are 3 times the width of the trees branches! The need room to spread out.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can plant around existing roots as long as you're not too close to where the trunk was and aren't going to demand maximal performance from the replacement tree. I wouldn't try it anywhere that there's roots more than a couple inches across every foot or two, however.

For the worst of the roots, around the base of the tree, either get the stump ground when you have the tree taken down ($ and you still can't plant directly there unless you replace the soil, but will make space available faster than just letting the stump sit there for decades), or cut the stump out yourself, digging and cutting the roots in a circle around it (easiest in a LARGER circle, b/c roots are smaller diameter -- 4" is much easier to saw than 8"!) and replace with extra soil.

Remember that trees create shade (and thus coolth) *wherever* they are. If you de-tree your yard it will be hotter in the summer... not just seem hotter but BE hotter, I mean, even if you compare to places that never did get shaded by those trees. Also some trees suck up a lot of water and can help keep the soil drier.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, in a similar situation to yours (previous owners planted stupidly-chosen weedy destructive trees in bad, bad places and we've had to cut almost all of them down despite being tree-deficient in the first place, sigh) and going to have to sink almsot all 2009's garden budget into three or four replacement trees for the side yard, sigh

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
...in a similar situation to yours (previous owners planted stupidly-chosen weedy destructive trees in bad, bad places...
Same thing with us - in the past 10 years we've taken down over twenty "trash trees" because they were either dangerous, ugly or both. Rampant unchecked tree growth is not nessarily a good thing.

Here is Mass. we had a terrible ice storm last month, and a friend of mine spent $4,200 to take down just five trees that were damaged. We've spent far less than that for as many as eight trees at a time; the cost of tree work really depends on the time of year and the circumstances. If you wait until you need them removed due to a storm you'll pay a premisum because everyone needs tree service at the same time.

My husband discovered that the best time (i.e. least expensive) time for tree work in our area is February. The tree services give us a good rate because they just want to keep their crews working.

So call around and just query them as to your local slow season, and arrange for them to just come in whenever they need some work - they'll cut you a deal, trust me.

Phyllis

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So do you have to dig up the ground to prepare to plant a fruit tree? I live in suburbia with cable wire running through out the yard. I don't know if I can dig up old roots without causing damage. should I give up my dream of fruit trees?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
So do you have to dig up the ground to prepare to plant a fruit tree? I live in suburbia with cable wire running through out the yard. I don't know if I can dig up old roots without causing damage. should I give up my dream of fruit trees?
No, you shouldnt give up your dream, but yes you do need to know what's in the ground and were it is.

Anytime you need to dig into a yard for a big project it requires some prework to identify where your utilities might be located. This is an extremely important safety step that you really should not avoid because the consequences can be catastrophic. Im sure you've seen news stories of people who don't bother with this type of due diligence and they hit a gas line while digging and their house blows up. Less serious, but still costly to you, would be breaking a water main or a sewer pipe.

In Mass we have Dig Safe , which is a non-profit organization that people use to find the location of thier underground utilities prior to beginning a home renovation or a landscaping project. Im sure there is something like this in other parts of the country, and if you contacted your gas company or other utility they could tell you who to contact.

You really should know exactly whats in the ground around your home before you start doing anything with landscaping.

Phyllis

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Usually your electric company will hook you up with a utility locator service. They'll walk around your yard and identify all the utilities. I had a guy drill some 24"dia holes for me last year in a place I didn't think had utilities. We live in the country so I knew where my gas and electric were. He drills up a big chunk of cable that was a phone cable. Went inside and surprise no phone. The run from their box is around 700ft So I figured if I called them they would want to replace the whole run, big$$$$$ since the cable belongs to them. I spliced a section in myself bot now one of my lines has a lot of static so I figure it's wet. Time to switch to cell only.

Just a stupid story.