what is this? a potato tomato? (pic)

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
its my first year growing potatoes, and whern i went out to tend the garden today i noticed this on my potato plant! it looks and feels just lie a cherry tomato! what is it? And yes it is for sure attacehd to my potoato plant.

5869_img00107.jpg

jessejames

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
that would be a potato seed pod
i am not sure how to harvest etc. i have been wondering what to do with thee myself. can i grow from thi seed or should i just stick to eye starts?
anyone, anyone?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might check out this link. I think it will answer your questions.

http://www.curzio.com/N/Potato_starting_from_seed.htm

With eye starts, you are cloning the potato, so you are sure of the type of potato you will get. If you plant the seeds, you are taking a gamble as you do not know what you will get. If you are after production, stick to eye starts. If you want to play and experiment, you can always try the seeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never been so lucky to get a pod... but I heard they make awesome start potatoes!

It wouldn't hurt to let it ripen and then cut it open and remove the seeds... you could end up with some nice potatoes next year. :cool:

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh no! I threw mine out! I asked a local farmer about those and he said he didn't know what I was talking about! Maybe I will get potato vines in my compost next year. :(

Latest posts