What is this bug on my squashes?

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I keep finding these little beetle type bugs on my squash, pumpkin, and cucumbers. They are usually inside the flowers, and these are the only plants they are on. They are little, about a quarter inch long at most, with black and white stripes on their bodies, and a little bit of yellow on their front parts. They are so small I can't get a picture of them. What are they? Good or bad?

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The ones in the photos look more yellow than the ones I see, but that is definitely it. Great, now how to get rid of it without pesticides?

Thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
The ones in the photos look more yellow than the ones I see, but that is definitely it. Great, now how to get rid of it without pesticides?

Thanks!
Good luck! I find planting certain plants keep them away from mine. I plant cosmos, petunias, marigolds... and they help keep them away from my plants or keep the # of pests low. I generally don't spray anything other then a simple soap, water and garlic solution I make... and you have to spray daily to reduce the pests.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Petunias and marigolds will keep them away? I'll try planting more of those.

What about garlic or onions, planting them around other vegetables can help deter some pests I know, but does it keep the cucumber beetles away? I don't remember having these bugs a few months ago, I wonder if harvesting all my garlic is what made them move in lol...

Latest posts