What is this odd plant?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What is this odd plant? I found it growing in the one flower bed and I know that I didn't plant it so it had to came up "wild"..
It has the flower of a tomato, leaf of a watermelon and to thorns of a cactus. :lol:

7054_dsc_0223.jpg

7054_dsc_0224.jpg

7054_dsc_0225.jpg

Thank You.
Chris

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it's a native plant related to the cucumber usually called a burr cucumber. So far as I know it's not edible. Looks as though your bumbler like it though.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I found out that it is a Solanum Rostratum Buffalobur Nightshade.
From what I read here and there on the web the seed is used in some Dove/ bird seed and that my be true I did have a bird feeder around that area about 2 years ago.

Chris

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We used to have them in Oklahoma (major ouch ) but I haven't seen them in San Diego. We do have the bur clover which is bad enough.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
In my part of the world, we call these horrible things cockleburrs. Do yourself (and everyone within 50 miles) a favor and kill this thing QUICK!! (OK, Laura, breathe now, in and out, that's a good girl :fl )

Those things have been the bane of my existence since I was a teenager. There is only one way to get rid of them and that involves hoes and fire. In the home garden a trip to the dumpster is usually sufficient...herbicides they laugh at. Left to themselves, they will team up with goatheads and bindweed to take over the world.

Seriously, they can grow over 4 ft tall and those burrs get into and on everything...and removing them hurts. The burrs will also sprout after being dormant for up to 20 years.

Sorry for the outburst, but I realllly hate these things (as if you couldn't tell :).

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertcat said:
In my part of the world, we call these horrible things cockleburrs. Do yourself (and everyone within 50 miles) a favor and kill this thing QUICK!! (OK, Laura, breathe now, in and out, that's a good girl :fl )

Those things have been the bane of my existence since I was a teenager. There is only one way to get rid of them and that involves hoes and fire. In the home garden a trip to the dumpster is usually sufficient...herbicides they laugh at. Left to themselves, they will team up with goatheads and bindweed to take over the world.

Seriously, they can grow over 4 ft tall and those burrs get into and on everything...and removing them hurts. The burrs will also sprout after being dormant for up to 20 years.

Sorry for the outburst, but I realllly hate these things (as if you couldn't tell :).
I full intentions of burning it.. :lol:

I understand your "pain" and they do look like they could be a real "pain" if left to over take a spot of land..
(sorry I had to say that)

Chris

Latest posts