What is this? PIC

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This just popped up a couple of days ago, full grown (or so it seems! LOL! I didn't notice it!). It's growing behind my strawberries -- which are now filled with buckthorn, ARGH! :barnie

Here's the only pic I have so far, the flowers are really the only pretty part. It's very tall, about 5 feet, and reminds me a bit of mullein . . .

2064917320058348753S600x600Q85.jpg

Anybody know what this plant is? Whatever it is, it's very pretty! And it must have been here from before, because I didn't plant it. On the other hand, this is the first summer we've seen it, and we've been in this house since 2008.

Whitewater

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to say probably a hollyhock, given the height. The blooms look exactly right, but the leaves on mine are a bit different in shape. There seems to be variations in the species, when I checked with Wikipedia . The texture of your leaves is the same as mine. I thought some type of hibiscus at first, but the leaves are not characteristic. Do the blooms start low on the spire and continue upward opening as it lengthens? Can't see the tip in your pic, but it appears so.

If it is a hollyhock, it will come back next year. I've heard them said to be biennial, but mine have returned 4 years now. It will also reseed easily. Very pretty and delicate shade of pink you have there!

ETA: Here's another link with a good pic , leaves like yours.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a mallow. I can't be sure which one but I think it's a rose mallow. They're semi-wild but like gardens best. They can grow so fast they often go un noticed till they flower.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hollyhawk and the larger mallows have a flower that is very similar. The leaves are the tipoff.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I say mallow as well. I grew some marsh mallows last year and they have the same marijauana type leaves. Mine were yellow with a black center. After they flower they will grow a seed pod that is quite huge and you will get a ton of seeds. And if you offer them I am sure people would love to trade for them. HINT HINT HINT

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The sticky sap from marsh mallow is where the candy got it's name. Originally that's what it was made of. Of course like all our food these days it's now synthetic.