What is this plant?This weedy plant thing with a pretty little flower?

chicken fruit

Sprout
Reaction score
4748492799_1d04bd168b_b.jpg

4749136622_31657f6c2c_b.jpg

If you need a verbal description I had posted it on a sister site here

I am in upstate NY, in case that helps as well! Thanks guys!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Without a pic of the flower it is hard to tell for sure but the plant gives the strong impression of being jewelweed (Impatiens somethingorother). Flower would be yellow or orangeish, sort of like a deep narrow-petalled garden impatiens flower; seed pods are green, shaped like teensy okra, and explode when touched when they're mature.

If it is jewelweed, the sap (juices of crushed stems) are an excellent remedy for poison ivy.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds/looks like a jewelweed to me too. Usually find lots of them on shady creek banks. I always thought they were pretty.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Without a pic of the flower it is hard to tell for sure but the plant gives the strong impression of being jewelweed (Impatiens somethingorother). Flower would be yellow or orangeish, sort of like a deep narrow-petalled garden impatiens flower; seed pods are green, shaped like teensy okra, and explode when touched when they're mature.

If it is jewelweed, the sap (juices of crushed stems) are an excellent remedy for poison ivy.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
I agree with jewelweed.

I've used the sap on poison ivy, and yes, it actually works very well! :thumbsup

Latest posts