What is this plant?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what it is either. But I just wanted to say Hi, and welcome back stranger! :) You're the closest TEG gardener to me, would love to see your garden some day.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@OaklandCityFarmer , I had one response to your 'What is this plant' so far. Possibly a 'Montanoa' species (Daisy Tree). I did a bit of searching and found a 'Podachaenium eminens' (Giant Tree Daisy) at least this is a start, if not one of these it's got to be something similar. I'll let you know if they come up with something else. I hope you are collecting a few seeds :).
Annette

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is not tickseed, and DEFINITELY not burdock, which I fight every year and the stems are hollow. I would contact your local University extension office and bring a sample. You might like it a lot, but it MAY be invasive, and then you'll be living with it forever. :th

I believe @aftermidnight is correct, it's a Montanoa. I'll have to do some more reading to see if they're considered to be invasive.

I don't know what it is either. But I just wanted to say Hi, and welcome back stranger! :) You're the closest TEG gardener to me, would love to see your garden some day.

Mary

Hello! We're completely overhauling our garden this spring/summer, trying out some new things, gonna see what works best. Maybe this fall we can do a harvest swap?

@OaklandCityFarmer , I had one response to your 'What is this plant' so far. Possibly a 'Montanoa' species (Daisy Tree). I did a bit of searching and found a 'Podachaenium eminens' (Giant Tree Daisy) at least this is a start, if not one of these it's got to be something similar. I'll let you know if they come up with something else. I hope you are collecting a few seeds :).
Annette

Thank you so much for your help! With your lead, I was able to find TONS of cultivars of the Montanoa species... I think mine is Montanoa guatemalensis.

It's native to the cloud forests of Guatemala and Costa Rica, where it's used largely as a windbreak. It grows quickly and is resistant to disease. It's considered a large shrub/small tree that can reach 15 m. It's bloom time is December through March, so right now. :) The natives of Guatemala and Costa Rica refer to this plant as Tubú. That's pretty much all the info I could find doing a quick google search.

Thank you again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa!

Wikipedia has 35 species listed, all from Mexico, south. Only one species has a webpage. Once you have something definitive about your plant, you could gather information for another Wikipedia page.

The TEG people who suggested sunflower family should be walking a little taller today :D. Good job Annette!

Steve

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey folks, thanks for your help! And HI Mary, it's been forever since I've been on. Work and such. It was actually my other half using the account to figure this out, but glad that you all were able to help!

Carlos

Latest posts