1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. A "cute" garden bug is eating ALL my peas!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What is this prolific plant?

Discussion in 'Weeds' started by buckabucka, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Apr 30, 2017
    buckabucka

buckabucka Garden Addicted

image.jpeg image.jpeg My friend in Vermont obtained this weed when someone gave her some columbine from their yard. It has taken over everything. She pulled tons of it out of her garden and threw it in the woods, where it rapidly took hold.

She has left it under black plastic and it won't die, and every little piece of fragile root makes new plants. I think she said it eventually gets pink flowers, although I might be wrong about that.
    Is anyone able to identify this plant?
    Thanks for any help!

2. May 1, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Oh no. That looks like Aegopodium podograria. Aka Bishops weed and several other common names. It's horrible horrible horrible.

I put some of the variegated variety in a new bed because I thought it was pretty.
    A co-worker at the nursery I worked for at the time saw it and told me to pull it out NOW. Unfortunately I had an issue with this person at the time and blew her off and stubbornly left it. That was years ago, and every spring when it comes up I go through and pull as much of it out as possible, but I never get it entirely and it grows voraciously. I eat humble pie every time I crawl around out there seeking it out too.

Your friend has my complete sympathy.

It's actually sold at nurseries, which is beyond me. I suppose if you had a large expanse of dry shade and needed a ground cover, where nothing else would grow it would have a use, but it's terrible in a regular landscape.

SweetMissDaisy and Beekissed like this.
  3. May 1, 2017
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

Oh dear! Although the leaf shape is different, Thistle's description of its habits reminds me of Snow on the Mountain, also a horrible plant to try to get rid of.

4. May 1, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Snow on the Mountain is one of it's common names. Probably the same villain!

5. May 1, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    The second picture looks like mint.

6. May 1, 2017
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Garden Master

i 2nd, or maybe 3rd that answer, bishop's weed/snow on the mountain. i also have the variegated type but the one i planted at my parents over 15 years ago doesn't seem to be all that hard to keep in check. i put it beside the pond & it seems to stay put there but does get thick with plants.

7. May 1, 2017
    buckabucka

buckabucka Garden Addicted

Thanks for the replies! I just looked at some images and that appears to be what it is. When I talked to her again, she said the flowers are white and like small queen-Anne's lace.
    I'll pass the information on!

8. Jul 19, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Nope, NOT mint! Mint may spread but it's easy to pull out and when some has made it's way into my vegetable beds I have completely eradicated it there. Pulled mint, prior to going to seed makes an EXCELLENT mulch. Also mow it and use it as a mulch. TOLD you I loved my mint!

9. Jul 19, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I'm treating poison ivy this weekend and you might try this. Spray it heavily with powerful herbicide. Put big pieces of plastic--need to change you shower curtain, maybe--and use bricks to hold the plastic down. I might suggest black plastic bc no sun will get to it and you might be able to smother it.

10. Jul 19, 2017
    Collector

Collector Garden Addicted

I have a friend who had a the misfortune of planting snow on the mountain to fill in a small space around tree. Within about 5 years it was a real problem . He still to this day tells me he had to move to get rid of it.

Nyboy likes this.