What is this thorny vine?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought it might be wild blackberry but aren't blackberries supposed to have 5 leaves? Is it wild raspberry? I'm pretty sure it's not poison-something-or-other because of the thorns but what is it? :idunno

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it may be a California blackberry but want to see if anyone comes up with something else....

Looks mean...whatever it is!
Oh trust me, I used gloves to dig it. That and a wrecking bar since I didn't have a shovel.... lol

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Whatever it is it looks exactly like the vine I have been doing battle with for the last 15 years.
I have cut, hacked and ripped this vine to shreds and even dug down into the ground to try and get it all and it always comes back.
It grows under ground for so many feet before surfacing in various places so I have literally ripped up my side lawn trying to get rid of it.
It wraps itself around young trees, climbs over the boulder in the rock garden. Its making me nuts! Ooops sorry, as you can see I get worked up over this monster vine.
It came from my neighbor's yard (and still is) so before she moved I asked her about it and she claimed to not know what it was.
She lived there many years and liked to garden so I wonder if she planted something that she later regretted or if she just really didn't know what it was.
She did tell me to make sure I keep ripping it out though.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, I found out what it is. I emailed pics to Mr. Smarypants at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and they wrote back saying it is southern dewberry, a member of the blackberry family. Since this was creeping on the ground I'm trying to think of where I can plant it or if possible to trellis it....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
OK, I found out what it is. I emailed pics to Mr. Smarypants at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and they wrote back saying it is southern dewberry, a member of the blackberry family. Since this was creeping on the ground I'm trying to think of where I can plant it or if possible to trellis it....
That's cool, is this Wildflower center in Texas?
Sounds handy!

Latest posts