What is this thorny vine?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
OK, I found out what it is. I emailed pics to Mr. Smarypants at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and they wrote back saying it is southern dewberry, a member of the blackberry family. Since this was creeping on the ground I'm trying to think of where I can plant it or if possible to trellis it....
Oh dew berry smells devine!!! I wore dewberry oil for awhile way back when I was into the Body Shop. Never tasted it, so good luck.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember finding wild dewberries when growing up. There were never enough to pick and take home for cooking or preserving so we just ate them on the spot. I found them sweeter and juicier than blackberries, but hard to pick as the berry could easily break into those individual globes, whatever they are called.

As I recall, they were mostly in shade or partial shade, such as the verge of woodlands, in fence rows, or under trees but it seems like occasionally some were out in full sun. If they produce on last year's growth like blackberries, the ones in the pasture fields would have been bushhogged off every year so they would not produce anyway. Not sure what the optimum conditions for growing dewberries are. I'm sure you'll do your research. I'm mainly posting because the mention of dewberries brought back memories of a barefoot kid growing up on a hardscrabble farm in ridge country, yet finding plenty of time for the simple pleasures of life. Thank you for those memories.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, until I can figure out what to do with them I have planted them in tall clay pots so I can move them around. If they do well in these pots that may just be their final home....

Walks down memory lane are so bittersweet, yes? :love

Latest posts