What is this?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The neighbors gave DH some flower pots, pile of used lumber
What is it.JPG
and several other treasures when they moved last winter. We thought this was just a pot of dirt, but this sprouted. It did have a stem that was dormant through the winter. What is it?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's Virginia creeper. It makes a good ground cover for a large space, or you can train it up a mature tree.
It can be rampant, but cuts back easily enough. It turns a pretty crimson in the fall and goes dormant in the winter.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anything that resembles poison ivy gets treated here like poison ivy.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, poison ivy was identified with the 3 leaves, and if it had 5, it was called poison oak. I have googled poison oak, and the pics of it look like oak leaves.
Regardless, a lifetime of fearing 5-leaved plants like that will keep me from ever having it in my yard on purpose.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, poison ivy was identified with the 3 leaves, and if it had 5, it was called poison oak. I have googled poison oak, and the pics of it look like oak leaves.
Regardless, a lifetime of fearing 5-leaved plants like that will keep me from ever having it in my yard on purpose.

The poison oak I have painful experience with is three leaved... it's image is burned into my frontal lobes. :eek: or wherever you store those unfortunate images.

Latest posts