What is wrong with apple tree?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, if you have a damaged tree, you can run a water sprout sideways and it will develop into a fruit bearing limb.

DH and I made a royal mess out of pruning the orchard a bit today. Not only are we both too old and weak to use the pruners, it seems that all our pruning tools are old and weak as well.

I see a trip to purchase new everything pruning, cutting, clipping, and trimming.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a day of using my lopers on fruit trees my aches and pains were undeniable. I bought some thing like this. I got the plug in model because I thought it would be lighter. You can buy a rechargeable also. I use it for all kind of pruning with a great savings of the old joints. There are a few different brands. I got the B&D
http://www.target.com/p/black-decke...gclid=CJ-NxbbEyssCFYE9gQodonsKwA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went through one of those (battery powered) so I bought a new one. This is a chain saw with a pole attachment. Yes, we used that as well, but I think the chain is dull as the saw chewed up the wood rather than cut it. It also was jumping all over rather than staying where the cut was wanted.

Since I've used this chainsaw for quite some time, I know it's not the operator or the saw so it must be the chain is in need of sharpening.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I use my reciprocating saw. You only replace the blades and don't have to sharpen anything. I actually own three of them.
ONE lost some screws, so it is sitting in my tool shed. I took it apart to repair, but it was still running.
ONE lost another part up front, so it is being used, HEAVILY duct taped.
ONE is brand new and I purchased the insurance at Harbor Freight because they INSISTED that they would fully replace it, if it broke.
HA, HA, there WILL be a new reciprocating saw in my future, because I am really tough on them.
I DO put my toys away, instead of leaving them out in the weather to rust.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sharp chain makes all the difference. Kid#1 sharpens his every few hours of use.
Mine gets sharpened semi annually, if it's lucky. I need to learn how to do that myself.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went through one of those (battery powered) so I bought a new one. This is a chain saw with a pole attachment. Yes, we used that as well, but I think the chain is dull as the saw chewed up the wood rather than cut it. It also was jumping all over rather than staying where the cut was wanted.

Since I've used this chainsaw for quite some time, I know it's not the operator or the saw so it must be the chain is in need of sharpening.
The new chains are cheap and can be ordered on line.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason I didn't think of using the saws-all until this morning while driving into town. I have a photo of Maverick proudly using my battery chain saw, but it's on the phone and I don't know how to move the photos.

Latest posts