What is wrong with these tomato and raspberry leaves?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I visited my neighbor yesterday afternoon and she asked me to take a look at her "weird" tomatoes.

They are indeed strange looking, and some of her raspberries are showing strange leaves now on the new growth.

I brought home a sample and told her I would ask you all for some help

Raspberry
DSCN3985.JPG

DSCN3986.JPG

For background, this is a garden in a brand new area, never gardened before.

No herbicides or pesticides have been used.

The tomatoes have been fertilized with Espoma Tomato Tone, and she said she just used a little. It has a low NPK content and is slow release.

The tomatoes have very few blooms, and only lower on the plant. No blooms on new growth.

There are a variety of tomatoes, some heirloom and some hybrid commercial types.

She hasn't observed any insects on them, and I couldn't see any when I looked yesterday. Other than the usual grasshopper plague.

The broccoli and squash in this garden look perfectly healthy and are putting out a lot of fruit. Well, not the broccoli so much, but it's still growing and has little florets on it.

Oh, the raspberries were dug from another neighbors this spring.
What do you guys think is going on?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That reminds me of 2,4-D drift poisoning. Or maybe Round-up. Is it possible that a little bit blew by a couple feet off the ground, affecting only the higher growth?
And, of course, not all plants are equally susceptible.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not round up damage. Looks like 2-4D damage. Did they apply anything like weed/feed last year or this year? Did they bring dirt with raspberries? Do they smoke? What is lay out of garden? Are the infected plants on one side and other side is unaffected?

So older growth unaffected and newer growth affected? That should tell them when the chemical wax applied if so. Really need pix of garden and complete plant.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll try to get better pix of whole garden.

No new dirt was brought in, this was a somewhat brushy/grassy/ weedy area that was tilled and fenced.

The new growth on raspberries was affected, but the entire tomato plants are curly.

They don't smoke. Raspberries are along the north fence line, toms are more in the middle, there are some squash between that look fine. Blueberries are on the south fence line and seem unaffected.

I'm leaning toward chemical damage myself. That's why I'll talk to the husband. It's kind of a left hand /right hand garden if you know what I mean.

The son is 28 NYboy, I don't think I can trick him into tattling. But I'll try! Haha.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both are susceptible to fusarium and verticillium wilt. Maybe early stages of one of those.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I took some more pictures.

To review -
New ground, just tilled and planted this summer.
No herbicides or pesticides, no weed and feed fertilizers ever.
Non smokers.
Damage seems uniform except for squash and pumpkins. And blueberries and broccoli.
There is one edamame plant and it is curling too, the eggplant and peppers have a little leaf curling going on, but not deformed like the toms.
The toms are the most affected.
Starts were bought from several different vendors.
They did bring in some composted horse manure from a stable down the road. I wondered about feed through wormers or fly control maybe being a problem, but the neighbor was pretty sure the stable manager doesn't feed those. Neighbor is an experienced horse person so I trust that should would pick up on that. I don't even know if that would be a problem after being digested. ??

The whole garden.

DSCN3996.JPG

The tomatoes
DSCN4000.JPG

DSCN4004.JPG

Edamame
DSCN4001.JPG

Eggplant
DSCN4002.JPG

Pepper
DSCN4006.JPG

Raspberry, new canes show the distorted leaves.

DSCN4008.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whatever is causing this, just happened in last couple of weeks. Old growth is unaffected. New growth is affected. So what did they do in the last 3 weeks?

What is growing in the straw bales? They look wilted?
Things low to ground seem to be fine. Things 2' and above are affected.

Comfortable it is not chemistry as it would kill whole plants and not just new leaves. So what is it? Have to think about it more.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best guess, cucumber mosaic virus or possibly tobacco mosaic virus.

Latest posts