What is your favorite tree ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, no, I've never gone to Hamilton, but Lawyer wholesale nursery isn't too far away in Plains MT. I've never gone there either, :p but they come to Spokane every Mothers Day weekend and set up at the fairgrounds with huge semi loads of bare root trees and shrubs. Their prices are fantastic. I usually don't go every year, it's too easy to spend lots of money, but I do have a lot of plants on my property from them.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For me it would depend on the time of the year. In the spring the dogwood would be my hands-down favorite. In the summer it's a toss up: I love the mimosa and the sweet smell of it as I sit out under it and watch Chicken TV in the early evening. But the pecan tree would have to be right up there too. You can't beat it for making a big shaded area to stave off the July and August sun. In the fall the maples of course just because of their colors. And winter wouldn't be winter without the various types of Christmas trees, be it a spruce, a douglas fir, or even a cedar. I can't say I have one overall favorite tree though.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I love the mature black locust.
Our ridge is covered with those. So pretty in the spring. Should be called Locust Ridge, not Chestnut. Boy, do the honeybees love them.

My practical side wants to favor anything that bears fruit, but actually I think the red japanese maples are my favorite, as far as a landscaping tree goes. Also, I love the combination of wild white dogwoods and red bud trees in the spring. We have tons of them painting the hillsides here where I live.
Ooooo...I bet it is beautiful! :drool

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I have heard more curses over our black locusts than over anything that has come into my life in the 45 years with my beloved. Three years ago he spent the whole summer playing 'pioneer' and clearing an area the size of a football field that was over grown with shrubs, trees, and brambles. The majority of trees were black locusts. Since he dug each and every thorny, iron-hard tree out with only a grub hoe, I understand getting close and personal with these buggers. There were days when I barely recognized the man covered in blood and gouges that came in for supper.

I know the history of planting black locusts - valued for natural fencing and for making rot-resistant fence posts, but they spread like dandelions in the wind and by underground runners that are impossible to stop - but easy to mow if persistent. Nope, NOT my favorite tree, although we still have a gully filled with mature parents that persist in repopulating my property. It is one legume I do not like!

Love, Smart Red

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I have heard more curses over our black locusts than over anything that has come into my life in the 45 years with my beloved. Three years ago he spent the whole summer playing 'pioneer' and clearing an area the size of a football field that was over grown with shrubs, trees, and brambles. The majority of trees were black locusts. Since he dug each and every thorny, iron-hard tree out with only a grub hoe, I understand getting close and personal with these buggers. There were days when I barely recognized the man covered in blood and gouges that came in for supper.

I know the history of planting black locusts - valued for natural fencing and for making rot-resistant fence posts, but they spread like dandelions in the wind and by underground runners that are impossible to stop - but easy to mow if persistent. Nope, NOT my favorite tree, although we still have a gully filled with mature parents that persist in repopulating my property. It is one legume I do not like!

Love, Smart Red
I can definitely understand your not liking them. We have very, very few mature Black Locust in Southern Maine (probably in all of Maine). I just think they are very pretty. Just because they look like none other. But the few random saplings that come up are a bit much with their thorns and of course they don't start growing where you want them to, but rather where they want to grow. I didn't know about the rot resistant fence posts.
That is kind of cool. :)