What is your favorite tree ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love trees !! I planted fruit trees for their flowers. Growing up my parents yard was full of fruit trees, nothing said spring like them in flower. But my favorite are the weeping trees. I have a weeping cherry that is my all time favorite, right behind them are my red weeping maples. This summer I planted a weeping mullberry, can't wait to see what it does. Whats your favorite tree?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have to say pecan. They make big trees that give shade relief from our blistering heat and in the fall, drop lovely pecans for us to pick up! Now I just wish I had a pecan tree! :drool

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love trees too! I don't think I could ever pick just one variety. Two of my current favorites are Japanese Stewartia, and Japanese Snowbell ( Styrax Japonica ). But this time of year when the trees are turning and so brilliant I want them all!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Do pecan trees flower ?
Yup, they do. Looks kinda like an oak bloom. Nothing outstanding like a magnolia or dogwood. Not a tree you would plant for a blooming display!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I love the mature black locust.
Our ridge is covered with those. So pretty in the spring. Should be called Locust Ridge, not Chestnut. Boy, do the honeybees love them.

My practical side wants to favor anything that bears fruit, but actually I think the red japanese maples are my favorite, as far as a landscaping tree goes. Also, I love the combination of wild white dogwoods and red bud trees in the spring. We have tons of them painting the hillsides here where I live.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is kind of a difficult question, Nyboy.

I've struggled to grow fruit trees and really appreciate how easy it has been to have French petite plums after the problems some of the other fruit trees have had.

I see the Cherokee dogwoods when they bloom and think they are lovely, small trees.

The native Ponderosa pines are beauties as mature trees but I don't think I would want them anywhere near my house, for safety reasons. Most of the Ponderosa around here have not grown as large as they do in the Oregon forests but I appreciate even the ones near my gardens. They are well-behaved as neighbors and tend to send their roots deep into the soil and not rob the garden of moisture. This may be true of other pines that are planted for landscaping, I don't know. There are some trees that are lovely but just terrible garden neighbors!

Steve

Latest posts