What is your favorite way to preserve summer squashes?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will have about ten that I can harvest tomorrow. Is it best to cut and freeze or can or shred and freeze? Any suggestions will be welcome! Also, I have many zuchinis that have started out, get about two inches long and then turn yellow and mushy. I am taking them off the plant as I see them but it is discouraging. Any ideas? Thanks again!!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I sliced and dried a lot last year, to add to soups. I've also frozen the shredded zukes in the past, and used for baking. Quite nice that way also.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Zucchini Relish -

SOAK
10 cups zucchini
3 cups onions
4 red bell peppers
5 tablespoons salt

MIX
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed

1 SOAK.
2 Grate zucchini in food processor, along with onion and bell peppers.
3 Mix salt in with vegetables in large plastic bowl.
4 Let stand overnight.
5 Next morning, rinse thoroughly in a large strainer and drain well.
6 MIX.
7 Place shredded vegetables in large heavy pan and add remaining ingredients.
8 Mix well and boil for 30 minutes.
9 Pack and seal in hot sterilized jars.

Chris

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
All great ideas! Thank you. Thanks for the recipe Chris. A lady I work with just said, how about relish. Now I don't have to go looking for a recipe. :D I didn't know if most people freeze the zuc or can it. I would say that most freeze with the exception of a relish. I see a purchase of freezer bags and canning jars in my future. :lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squash and zucchini don't have to be blanched, so I find it easier to freeze them. I slice them up and bag them, then use them later in summer squash casserole (yummy!) or toss in with other veggies to steam or saute.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stubborn, it sounds like the little squash that are turning mushy and dying are ones that aren't being fertilized. You can try hand fertilizing and see if that makes the problem go away.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I shred then freeze summer squash ansd zucs for breads muffins cookies etc...I pre measure according to my favorite receipes and lable

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Stubborn, it sounds like the little squash that are turning mushy and dying are ones that aren't being fertilized. You can try hand fertilizing and see if that makes the problem go away.
Thanks skeeter9, I will try some fertilizer. It is quite a bummer! I have taken off probably 20 of the little things :( I'll let you know!

I like the idea of pre-measuring for favorite recipes. What a great idea!

We sliced lengthwise our first zuc last night. About 1/4 inch slices. Put them on the gril with olive oil, salt/pepper and garlic powder. They were very delish! :D

Latest posts