What is your favorite way to preserve summer squashes?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
skeeter9 said:
Stubborn, it sounds like the little squash that are turning mushy and dying are ones that aren't being fertilized. You can try hand fertilizing and see if that makes the problem go away.
Thanks skeeter9, I will try some fertilizer. It is quite a bummer! I have taken off probably 20 of the little things :( I'll let you know!

I like the idea of pre-measuring for favorite recipes. What a great idea!

We sliced lengthwise our first zuc last night. About 1/4 inch slices. Put them on the gril with olive oil, salt/pepper and garlic powder. They were very delish! :D
If you take your shredded squash and put it in the individual cup measure you want ( I usually use the 1 cup) pack it in moderately firm, invert it over a cookie sheet, and repeat then place the cookie sheet in the freezer, then after the cup mounds of squash are frozen place those in a large freezer bag, they are easy and accessible.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
skeeter9 said:
Stubborn, it sounds like the little squash that are turning mushy and dying are ones that aren't being fertilized. You can try hand fertilizing and see if that makes the problem go away.
Thanks skeeter9, I will try some fertilizer. It is quite a bummer! I have taken off probably 20 of the little things :( I'll let you know!

We sliced lengthwise our first zuc last night. About 1/4 inch slices. Put them on the gril with olive oil, salt/pepper and garlic powder. They were very delish! :D
Like Carol Dee said . . . try hand pollinating. I'm thinking that is what skeeter9 had in mind, too. Not fertilizer.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
skeeter9 said:

If you take your shredded squash and put it in the individual cup measure you want ( I usually use the 1 cup) pack it in moderately firm, invert it over a cookie sheet, and repeat then place the cookie sheet in the freezer, then after the cup mounds of squash are frozen place those in a large freezer bag, they are easy and accessible.
ooo your a smart one! I like it Kassaundra!

Smiles, I didn't even see Carol's post until I just saw yours. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't know how to hand pollinate, but I'm sure I can find out! Thanks Carol!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got my jullianne (sp) veggie peeler in the mail today, but have to wait until I come back from work to try it out. I'm jullianeing zuch's (the large ones that escaped my notice in the garden) and using those for "spagehtti" noodles. I've tried it by hand cutting the zuchs, but this will be so much more even cuts then I can make by hand.

I am GF so always looking for great "noodle" ideas I can eat, this way can save some calories too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zucchini Relish -

SOAK
10 cups zucchini
3 cups onions
4 red bell peppers
5 tablespoons salt

MIX
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 cups vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed

1 SOAK.
2 Grate zucchini in food processor, along with onion and bell peppers.
3 Mix salt in with vegetables in large plastic bowl.
4 Let stand overnight.
5 Next morning, rinse thoroughly in a large strainer and drain well.
6 MIX.
7 Place shredded vegetables in large heavy pan and add remaining ingredients.
8 Mix well and boil for 30 minutes.
9 Pack and seal in hot sterilized jars.

Chris
Made it as finally had enough zucchini. I can eat this straight out of jar.

Latest posts