What Kind of Chives Do I Want?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to grow some chives this year, but I fear getting hold of the same kind of chives I had about 10 years ago. It had a pretty bloom, but was very invasive, and came up for years and years and years, everywhere. If I remember, I purchased it as an ornamental, not an edible. Could it have been Garlic Chives? Are Onion Chives the kind you dry and use as a seasoning?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy, I'd better stay out of your decision making, So Lucky! I didn't even know that chives were invasive in some parts of the country. I think it was Lesa who clued me into that fact!

I could be wrong about this notion also but I don't believe it is garlic chives you are thinking of. They may well be a separate species and the leaves don't look all that much like chives to me.

My chives are doing well and are well behaved but don't pay any attention to what I have to say!

Steve
who will soon have some chives with scrambled eggs as the very first veggies from the garden!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I wish you were closer...you could come over and dig up a couple wheel barrows full! When I grew chives in a little garden that was bordered by grass (which got mowed) I never had a problem. When I moved them to my regular garden-Yikes! You have reminded me that I have a lot of digging to do! What about trying them in a container?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I wish you were closer...you could come over and dig up a couple wheel barrows full! When I grew chives in a little garden that was bordered by grass (which got mowed) I never had a problem. When I moved them to my regular garden-Yikes! You have reminded me that I have a lot of digging to do! What about trying them in a container?

Lesa and her chives empire! ;)

Don't they spread by seeds? If you deadhead all 16 bajillion of them before the seed matures wouldn't that slow them down?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow both of these - CHIVES

They have not spread, but I cut the flowers off before they produce seed, or at times I have collected the seed before it drops to start some new garlic chive plants. Mom pots some up and brings them inside in fall, under a light she harvests them most of the winter.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, thistle- I wish you lived closer too...so you could help me! You know I do 8 bajillion and you do 8 bajillion! Each spring I have a fantasy, that I will dig up a bunch of clumps-pot them up and sell them on Craigslist. Maybe this will be the year!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I, too, grow both types of chives. The regular ones in the garden have been getting dead headed for the past years because I am saving seed from leeks and onions, so they've never been a spreading problem. The garlic chives in the semi-sunny bed have spread a bit in these past three years, but not a big problem. I expect I will be dead heading most of them.

I also have a decorative (curly) chive that has white flowers, but rounded leaves.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, thistle- I wish you lived closer too...so you could help me! You know I do 8 bajillion and you do 8 bajillion! Each spring I have a fantasy, that I will dig up a bunch of clumps-pot them up and sell them on Craigslist. Maybe this will be the year!

Actually Lesa, if I lived closer I would do them ALL for you! Yep, I'd bring my favorite weedwhip and get 'em done in no time! But don't worry, I'm very good with it, surgical in fact, and wouldn't also take out your carrots and rutabagas. :D The down side is that you'd be smelling onion for about a week!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year my chive actually returned. I was so happy because it usually doesn't! I'm thinking of buying another one so that I can have a little more. Seems like stuff that is invasive for Lesa, barely thrives for me! Maybe it's all that snow? ;)

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right Mary! What you need is some nice cold snow!! Thistle it would be pretty easy to deadhead them with the weed whacker. Now you've got me thinking!

Latest posts