What Kind of Chives Do I Want?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw both onion and garlic chives for sale in a Bonnie Plant rack.
It seemed to me that the ones I had in the past spread by the bulbs--and maybe seeds too. I suspected it spread by runners, like the evil mint, but I guess not.
I think I'm going to go with the onion chives, and maybe put it in a pot.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put my chives in a container when I took them out of the ground garden. They made it through SC's harsh winter, and are looking pretty healthy now!
I found a second kind at wally world last week. It is in a container also. Seems like most of my herbs like containers..except for the sage. I started it in a container at first.....it did lousy. so when I found the spot for the herb garden, I stuck them in it. They actually flourished and thrived in it!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted garlic chives by seed several years ago. They have not spread. I still have 3 big clumps of them. I can't eat them, they make me belch, upset my stomach, which is remarkable. I have a cast iron gut and can usually eat anything with no side effects, but not garlic chives. :gig

They earn their keep by being mosquito repellent. I pick a few leaves, crush them and rub on my arms and legs. It seems the mosquitos like them about as much as I do. :idunno

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it will repel the buffalo gnats if they get bad this year.
Vanilla. Vanilla makes the best buffalo gnat repellant there is--and it smells good too! I hang the Christmas tree auto air fresheners, vanilla scent in the coop to repel flies. For gnats, I spray the hens on the roost after dark. I tried to spray the hens during the day--MISTAKE! They ran, BA-GAWK BA-GAWK and it was a dismal failure. Haha just sneak up on them at night.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did it! I did it! Before we plowed yesterday, I dug up a dozen clumps of chives and potted them up...

Woohoo Lesa!

I came home today with a couple of bins full of Shasta daisies and three huge clumps of Annabelle hydrangea that one of my customers wanted off the property. I was thinking the same thing, potting them up and starting a nursery! :confused: