What kind of flower is this?

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Since we bought the house 8 years ago, we have had this growing along the side of the house in our dogs yard in the shady part. Well, not really any left in the dogs yard now but so now its growing by our front steps almost under the lilac trees. They are pretty, grow straight up almost like they want to climb and then flower. I just do not know what they are and how do I grow more? Do they seed or roots or something?

7209001.jpg

7209002.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is Campanula rapunculoides, and as you'll read in Carri's thread, it's an invasive you really don't want to encourage. Yes, it's lovely, to a point - but it'll overrun the whole garden if you give it a chance. It seeds like crazy, when it germinates, it forms a 'carrot', deep down in the soil, from which it'll send up many runners. To get rid of it you need to dig down and get that carrot, and then all the roots, because it'll resprout from the smallest piece. I've been battling it here for over 15 years. I don't allow it to live.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG,

I must find some of this for my yard. I love it. How striking the colors and how delicate the way they drape. Too delicious! I have the perfect spotssssss, to put that.

One day someone is going to come along and say awwwww, Ron should have some of these, and will ask him to send along a SASE (addressed stamped envelope) and they will send him some of these lovely seeds. ;);););)

hint, hint

Ron

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:::sigh::: Yes, I know, they're lovely, but they are a plague, a thug, you really, really don't want them. But I guess those of you who think they do want them will get them anyways - don't complain to me when you have them over every square inch of your garden, sun or shade, wet or dry......

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually, it never gets any bigger here, never really spreads that I have noticed.

I might have to pass some on to you Ron, I think its lovely and wish it would spread. Because I want more non care flowers in my garden as I am not supposed to have one anyone due tot he new septic so anything that grows that I do not have to water is great in my book!!!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
:::sigh::: Yes, I know, they're lovely, but they are a plague, a thug, you really, really don't want them. But I guess those of you who think they do want them will get them anyways - don't complain to me when you have them over every square inch of your garden, sun or shade, wet or dry......
Reinbeau
Thanks for the name I just call them those d**##@@!##!...I have it coming up everywhere and it is a pain in the ARSE...I have been living here almost 17 years and have been pulling it every year but once I get one spot cleared it pops up else where...and sometimes crowds out plants I want to grow... :hit

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
momofdrew, you have to dig down and get that carrot. On a well-established patch it is huge, my mother found one that was over a foot long and four inches in diameter! It was down almost 18". Nasty things, even if they are pretty.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well,

I can think of worst things to take over a persons garden/yard=yarden. Every year there is a wild mustard that will grow at any extreme. OHHH and sticker-burr grass is the worst; it can seem so at home and then without notice there are these nasty seed heads that stick to everything...your pants, the dog, your socks!!!!

I would much rather have pretty weeds. The way you describe this plant is the way that jimsonweed or datura grows here. I swear one plant 10 years ago and I will have to suffer with seedlings forever. I love datura, but when it turns into a wave of taking over it ends with me there.

I am just one of those gardeners who has already come to terms with the fact that the weeds will always grow faster than your flowers, and that just as you finish one bed the next is throwing seed.

~~~~~ To Chickchic,

If you see seedpods forming, and you are able to let them mature and develop seeds, I would love to have some. I would think that in August/Sept there may be some ready. Keep you eyes open, I am sure you will notice them; then I would gladly send you the postage to send me the seeds. I am always in the garden so to me one season to the next is like tomorrow. :p

Ron

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron - your desperately begging for what everybody else calls a weed is funny. I like that and it has made me laugh. I hope you get your seeds. I totally know what you mean about the desert not going to let anything become invasive. I have family in high desert of california and anything but but a tumble weed is not going to make it on its own. Although tumble weeds are a non-native invasive species.

Latest posts