What kind of (fruit) trees are these?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I came across a foundation that sells fruit trees really cheap. Only 2,5 euros per tree, delivery is 5 euros. You have to buy at least 10 trees. The trees are 3 years old.
They have these available: Navajo, Discovery, Doyenne du comice,
Conference, Jonagold, Cupona, Dabinette, Bellida, Gala, Thimo, Elstar, Fuji, Wilton, Deljona, Santana, Appana, Maribelle

I can't seem to find anything on these four:
Cupona,
Thimo,
Deljona,
Appana

Does anyone here know what they might be? All the others are apples and pear trees.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came across a foundation that sells fruit trees really cheap. Only 2,5 euros per tree, delivery is 5 euros. You have to buy at least 10 trees. The trees are 3 years old.
They have these available: Navajo, Discovery, Doyenne du comice,
Conference, Jonagold, Cupona, Dabinette, Bellida, Gala, Thimo, Elstar, Fuji, Wilton, Deljona, Santana, Appana, Maribelle

I can't seem to find anything on these four:
Cupona,
Thimo,
Deljona,
Appana

Does anyone here know what they might be? All the others are apples and pear trees.

the foundation doesn't have a website or contact # or e-mail?

i only recognized a few as apples.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes they do, but they don't know either or don't have time to respond. They got the trees from a nursery that were gonna destroy them as they were unsellable because of little defects. I'm not even sure if it possible to order which trees you want. I've read from others that ordered that they could only say how many apple and how many pear trees they wanted.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, the Doyenne du comice is a pear so I guess those are pears listed before it and apples, after.

I should know something about pears and apples. I live near the major apple growing region of the US and once lived, essentially, in a pear orchard in southern Oregon. Should know something but I'm ready to admit that I don't.

I'll just say that the Comice is the pear often to be found in the stores later in the harvest season. Fuji and Gala apples are very commonly available here and I like them just fine. Jonagold seems to be a very popular choice for homeowners. It's been sold by the nurseries for a very long time and advertised for both eating fresh and for cooking.

I once owned some apple trees but none on your list. The apples and French prunes were left behind when the property was sold. (This far north isn't best for pears, a-pear-antly ;).)

If you have local information on variety choices, I'm sure that it would be a very good idea to consult them. Fruit trees really have geographical preferences.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if your agricultural ministry would know? Does yours have a public service section you could ask? It would be nice to know they are suited to your climate.

I wonder how many trees they have available and what kind of defect would be that widespread? How minor are those defects. Were they involved in a transportation accident that may have smashed them? Did someone mess up on the tags so they really don't know what varieties the individual trees are? A fruit tree can be fairly expensive to buy but it is also an investment in space and time. It can be years before you know if it is a good one. Do you know if they are dwarf, semi-dwarf, or full-sized?

I'd be cautious in getting those though you may be more adventurous than me. If I wanted an apple or pear I'd be tempted to get exactly what I want even if the initial cost were more. You may get lucky and be very happy with what you get but I'm thinking more on time and space commitments more than initial costs. If yo have the space it could be worth the adventure to you.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't buy them. I have to replace a Johnathan apple that didn't make it, and it was cheap (WM gardening center), and it had blight and other problems, plus it never really produced. I intend to purchase it's replacement at a locally owned nursery and I want a cultivar that has as much resistance to disease as is possible. I have two apple trees, one a nondescript red, which hasn't produced for 2 years straight, and the horse's golden delicious apple tree, which the new horse fencing put into their territory, so they reap the fruit. If you want just a tree, buy cheap. If you want fruit, spend the money bc you will keep it a long time.

Latest posts