What kind of hot pepper is this?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found the seed packet (never planting a 'mix' again, I hate not knowing what stuff is!)

Jalapeno, Cayenne, Anaheim, Ancho, Serrano or Hungarian Wax

I'm leaning towards Hungarian Wax, although the pictures I found didn't show them growing upward like that...

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
. . . .(never planting a 'mix' again, I hate not knowing what stuff is!) . . .
Ha! That sounds like me but the mix occurs in the garden, Wendy ;)!

. . . after I've stepped on and lost every tag and forgotten where everything was planted :lol:!

Well, I've grown Hungarian Wax before and don't remember it growing upwards - but, it's been a long time ago.

The only 2 that I have that grow in that direction are super chili and Thai hot. Anchos would have to be too heavy to grow upward, right? The neighbor had Serrano one year but I don't remember its orientation :rolleyes:.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They look like my banana peppers... but they flop over after they get so big. :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Hungarian Wax I planted last year pointed downward and were longer, but maybe there's another variety like Rich said...the color is right at least. And I don't think it's a serrano, jalapeno and definitely not a cayenne. Googled the other two and there is no resemblance there either. So maybe it is a hungarian wax! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot (Bulgarian Hungarian Wax, Hungarian Wax Hot, Hungarian Long Wax, Hot Banana Hungarian wax No. 2) - Parentage: open pollinated. Characteristics: heirloom cultivar, ripens 58-85 days, medium hot, medium thick walled, 203 x 51 mm fruit size, tapers to point, waxy yellow to crimson, both upright and pendant fruit, strong upright plants, 410 x 610 mm plant size. Garden 1992."

North Carolina State University

Banana peppers are classed as "wax" peppers, also.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve, I love when you site NC State. It makes me smile! :D

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's a Hungarian Yellow wax pepper. I have 5 of it's twins in my back yard right now. Give it 2 more weeks and they will be yellow. As long as you didn't plant any Fresno Chilis (which when young and green look similar) I'd bet the barn on it. Pickle those little guys once they turn yellow. :D

Latest posts