What kind of pear is this?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On 20 acres this is the *only* edible thing on the property. Seriously, isn't it illegal to sell that much land in Georgia without at least ONE pecan tree??? :D

The pears are... meh. They don't taste like anything really. I did a test jar with simple syrup to see if I wanted to bother canning them, and I'm thinking not.

Does anyone know what variety it might be, and if they're good for anything?

136765500.jpg

-Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Are you sure they are ripe?? I have never seen such a green pear...
They're falling off the tree if you barely touch them, and they're appropriately juicy (for a pear) inside. Maybe I'll bring a few inside and see if they'll ripen further on the counter. If the squirrels have left me any!!!

It looks like a green anjou pear, except that the info I found says those ripen in the fall. Some of the natives around here talk about a 'summer pear' that ripens in July.

-Wendy

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure what the weather is like where you are in Georgia. Here it is dry and a lot of trees and plants are stressed. That may be why they are dropping.

I took this from an extension article. Maybe it will help you.

Pears
Pears should not be allowed to ripen on the tree. If the fruit are left on the tree to ripen, stone cells develop in the fruit giving the pear a gritty texture. Tree-ripened fruit are also poorly favored. Harvest pears when the color of the fruit changes from a deep green to a light green. Also, the small spots (lenticels) on the fruit surface change from white to brown. At the time of harvest, the fruit will still be firm, not soft.

Pears should be ripened indoors at a temperature of 60 to 70F. The ripening process should take 7 to 10 days. To hasten ripening, place the fruit in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Pears give off ethylene gas, which accumulates in the bag and promotes ripening.

To keep the pears for a longer period of time, store the unripened fruit at a temperature of 30 to 32F and a relative humidity of 90 percent. Pears can be stored for approximately 1 to 3 months. Remove stored fruit about 1 week prior to use.

Latest posts