What kind of ready meals do you can?

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I mostly pressure can ....99% of what I have canned is meat just because meat is the most expensive to feed my family of 5.

I always buy in bulk at rock bottom prices anyway, I was curious to what others can in the form of meat.

Here is mine.

Meatloaf
Hamburger
Taco Meat
Beef in a wine sauce
Meat in tomato sauce
Chili
Chicken
Chicken Soup
Pork Cubes
Corned Beef
London Broil Chunks & Strips

I plan to add many new ready made meals from the new Ball canning book.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only meal I can is veggie soup. I always cook one of my chickens Thursday. The leftovers are shredded and added to the soup on Saturday. With cheese and crackers that's my Saturday supper. I grow practically everything that goes in that veggie soup.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No matter how politically correct it may be to turn vegan or vegetarian, I am and will remain a carnivore. Check out my canine teeth. They were made for tearing meat not cabbage and kale.

I love veggies. I eat more plant matter than I do meat. But I do appreciate a good piece of meat!

Back to nature? What could be more natural than meat?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here raw diet is becoming popular whole foods even has a section in their cafe. Food was never meant to be cooked. NYC has whole restaurants serving just raw food

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mostly pressure can ....99% of what I have canned is meat just because meat is the most expensive to feed my family of 5.

I always buy in bulk at rock bottom prices anyway, I was curious to what others can in the form of meat.

Here is mine.

Meatloaf
Hamburger
Taco Meat
Beef in a wine sauce
Meat in tomato sauce
Chili
Chicken
Chicken Soup
Pork Cubes
Corned Beef
London Broil Chunks & Strips

I plan to add many new ready made meals from the new Ball canning book.

I would LOVE some of your recipes. I can a lot of 'meat-in broth' to use in later cooking, lots of soup starters (squash, tomatoes & okra, etc.), and when I can get venison, I can that in small chunks with beef broth & onions to use later in soups or to shred up in a casserole or such.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't ever can any meat that isn't grown here or harvested off the land here, but usually can those up as meat and not as ready to eat soups and such. I've found that the veggies and spices don't taste as crisp nor strong if I can them with the meat, but can easily be added later for a fresher taste.

I do can up something we call slumgullion, which is just all the veggies from the garden stewed down together and canned in a jar. That's usually thickened with cornmeal later on and lavished on potatoes, pasta, rice or biscuits.

The meat we can is usually chicken and deer, though I have canned rabbit and squirrel as recently as last fall.

Can up salsa, so I guess that would be called ready to eat, though not necessarily a "meal". This year I'd like to can a little tomato soup, rebatching some older tomato juice to do so. Currently drying some tomatoes to use for thickening of soup, salsa and sauces prior to canning.

Can bone broth of deer and also of chicken, rendering off the fat to be used later. The deer fat goes to things processed for chicken and dog food while the chicken fat is used in cooking our own recipes.

Latest posts