What kind of roses should I get?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Knockouts are lovely, but I want smell. No rose lives in my garden if it doesn't smell. Have they bred the scent back into the Knockouts?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ann, no unfortunately they have no scent.

Two roses come to mind that I had that have the most incredible scent are Sombreuil which is a white tea shrub rose and a Bourbon climber called Zephirine Drouhin. Anyone that can grow roses I highly recommend these. (sigh) It makes me sad to think of all the roses that have come and gone in my yard.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Ann, no unfortunately they have no scent.

Two roses come to mind that I had that have the most incredible scent are Sombreuil which is a white tea shrub rose and a Bourbon climber called Zephirine Drouhin. Anyone that can grow roses I highly recommend these. (sigh) It makes me sad to think of all the roses that have come and gone in my yard.
Yep, Zephirine Drouhin is on my list, it's also thornless, so it will be good to go next to my arbor.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WIkalanchoe, Did you end up planting some more roses? I just got two new ones today - Parkland series called "Winnepeg Parks." Hardy, double reds with yellow stamens, fragrant, 3 ft. tall. Roses can't come into my gardens unless they can make it through our cold winters with minimal protection. I've had pretty good luck, but then again, I don't just buy *any* rose that flirts with me.... I sure wish I lived somewhere warmer (like southern California!!) where I could grow any kind of rose I wanted...

Latest posts