What kind of (speckled, seeded) grape am I?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thick skin, very pulpy interior (possibly not quite ripe yet though!) and several big seeds. Any ideas?

127784442.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks a lot like a muscadine to me. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OH YES, YUMMY YUMMY Muscadine! I make a lot of jam from that... and muscadine wine is my favorite!!! Tough skin is normal, seeds are huge... its more loved for its juices then anything. Good amount of pectin too. :D

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Will Muscadine grow in cold weather areas like MN? Our wild grapes are small and almost black and have thick skin and a musty flavor but are good. Better for juice and jelly than eating because they're so small and very tart even after it cools down.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure where you are located, but they are not the wild grapes of zone 4...

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't realize I hadn't put a location on this site.

I'm just north of Columbus, GA. maps usually show it on the border of zones 7 and 8. (or between 7b and 8a).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Muscadine only grow in the humid south east... but are being cultivated as far west as California for their amazing flavors in wine! Some of the biggest wining wines in the world from the US are muscadine wines now. :) Even Europe have been importing more and more... and US wine used to be a joke! :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
Will Muscadine grow in cold weather areas like MN? Our wild grapes are small and almost black and have thick skin and a musty flavor but are good. Better for juice and jelly than eating because they're so small and very tart even after it cools down.
Those sound like fox grpes. They make great jelly but aren't much good for eating off the vine. I used to eat them as a kid but they're very seedy and somewhat sour.