What kind of tree is this?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

pond1.jpg

I just threw in the Pond photo. We are cleaning out this space on our property to put in a dock, fire pit and gardens. (EVENTUALLY) But this is where we found the tree hidden and covered in trumpet vine.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looks like Japanese privet to me. They can be pretty if controlled, but I think they are considered non-native, invasive. But they will sure enough make such a thick hedge you can't get through them.

Cassandra

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It does look similar, but the bark is different. The bark on this reminds me of a birch type tree. Its pealing alot on the Japanese Privet, but not on the mystery tree. Also, the mystery tree/shrub has olive looking berries, while the privet have flower/berry clusters.

I have some Japanese privets seperating my neighbor's property and mine.

tree3.jpg

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt chinese privet and is highly invasive. what you have pictured below it is japanese privet. privet is pretty but is taking over here and endangering native plants.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess out by the pond is where it can stay. :(

It is pretty though, but I don't want it near my chickens as parts of the plant are posionous if ingested. I'm more worried about the fuzzy butts then whether I need to trim it back each year. I will finish clearing out the trumpet vine and let it have its only place all wild in the woods of the pond.

(By the way, if anyone wants this trumpet vine stuff, you can have some pods! I'm done with these evil things!!! Pretty red/orange flowers aren't enough for me to keep it around. Its choking out my maple trees!!!)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the privet will be as bad or worse than the trumpet vine if you leave it there. those seeds will come up everywhere and you will have thick bushes under all your trees. i have forests of it here that i will never get rid of.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're not making me feel good! :(

It went from being... "how pretty!" to "OMG! How am I going to kill this thing!!!???"

:lol: Anyways.... I'll leave it be for now... its wood land. It will have to fight for survival on its own.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beefy said:
it is 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt chinese privet and is highly invasive. what you have pictured below it is japanese privet. privet is pretty but is taking over here and endangering native plants.
ohhh. Yeah, that is what I meant. I guess I got the invasive ones confused. They are fairly taking over the state of Mississippi.

I have had pretty good luck getting rid of them by pulling them out by the roots. My dad & I pulled up some that was growing right next to my apartment one time. The two of us together pulling on it were able to pull it out. Two years later, when I moved, it had not grown back.

Cassandra

CottageGardener123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have one of those...........two actually and they are INVASIVE just as beefy said. Every year they plant a million seeds which ALL sprout. They need to be chopped down.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i would pull it up. hook a chain to that baby and pull it up with a truck and row it out to the middle of the pond, and tie a brick to it and toss it overboard. the are fairly easy to pull up when small, but the birds will deposit those seeds everywhere and they will all come up. i can take pics of a wetland that has been over taken with that stuff if i need to. (acres)

Latest posts