What kind of weed? little yellow flowers

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have this growing in a few spots in my yard.
It doesn't bother me much, I'd just like to know what it is.
I have searched almost ever thing listed on this site http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/08/wood-sorel.html (plants/weeds from my area) and can not for the life of me figure out what it is.

IMAG3644.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG3647.jpg
    IMAG3647.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 11,761

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for trying.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you in Texas? Does the plant sprawl or vine/climb up things? Any smell? How large are the leaves?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like a vine to me, but I've been wrong before. I could see that being some kind of sprawling plant and not a vine. I think that vertical is a 2x4 which mean the leaves would be maybe 2" long? It looks like it may be growing out in the open sun and making a thick ground cover. Or is it more of a shade plant. Are the stems woody like a perennial or softer like an annual? The stems look round. The leaves pair up at the nodes. Have you seen any fruit from it? Being near Houston you can get freezes but it's kind of a subtropical climate.

Best I can come up with is some member of the ivy family, assuming it's a vine. Some ivies have flowers like that but I can't come up with a match for the flowers and leaves with any ivy I found. Closest I could come up with was ivy gourd, but the leaves look wrong.

Kiki, you can always take some to your county extension office and get them to identify it. Hopefully someone else on here can come up with it but I'm stumped. I wouldn't be surprised if it is some type or ornamental someone planted ad it got away from them.

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
The first picture I posted it does kinda look like a vine but its not.
Its more like a ground cover mess.
I will look up my county extension office..never thought about them.

The flowers are tiny...leave can get bigger (like the first pic when its not mowed down)
Most of the spots in the yard where this stuff is is full sun..it does not ever die. It's always around.

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I pulled one of these weeds up just now.
Same one from yesterday's first picture.
Red = 12 inch ruler.
Second picture, although kinda blurry, you can see the flower is very small and that "thing" next to the follower is a seed pod? Last pic is the seeds I knocked out of the pod thing.

IMAG3648.jpg
IMAG3652.jpg
IMAG3652.jpg
IMAG3653.jpg

Latest posts