What NOT to plant next to each other

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought that book for this gardening season and will report on all the plantings that I use from it. It should be an interesting garden year, for sure! :bee

Hey, BBH and KC!! :frow 'Bout time..... :coolsun

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
You will get a lot of good advice from people far more knowledgable than myself, but I was recently told you are ok as long as you don't plant things from the same family next to each other (like different kinds of squash,or whatever). The only risk of cross pollenation is in memebers of the same family. Othedr than that, just take into account what the plant likes to make it happy. I just found this ouit the hard way-I alsways plant marigolds around my veggies, but my new square foot garden is so lush and wonderful, my marigolds are dying!:(

Let's see what the pros say.:)
I think the issue with planting squash varieties near eachother has more to do with the seed being affected than the fruit you will get this season.
If you are saving seed then the cross pollination would be an issue for the fruits that particular seed will produce the following season.
At least that is what I read on another gardening site, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Bee. Looks like there are some old friends over here. Don't know how I missed this place. :watering