What NOT to plant next to each other

ametauss

Sprout
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about spacing the plants properly but what combinations should I avoid planting next to each other...

I'm a newbie at raised bed planting.... In the past I did some container gardening but mostly herbs and tomatos....

DH wants a large garden this year and since we have the space, I thought what the heck.... I like to garden and it would be great to not have to buy local produce....

So, I bought LOTS of seeds and I'm sure there's a method to planting them not just by height but what compliments another and what will cause issues....

I thought you shouldn't plant cucumbers next to melons but I'm not sure...

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated!!!!

:cool:

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You will get a lot of good advice from people far more knowledgable than myself, but I was recently told you are ok as long as you don't plant things from the same family next to each other (like different kinds of squash,or whatever). The only risk of cross pollenation is in memebers of the same family. Othedr than that, just take into account what the plant likes to make it happy. I just found this ouit the hard way-I alsways plant marigolds around my veggies, but my new square foot garden is so lush and wonderful, my marigolds are dying!:(

Let's see what the pros say.:)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome

(I'm a new member too. You are going to love this forum! I check in everyday.)

(I just learned that if you push the [show] tab next to smiles when you post something it gives you way more smiles to choose from. I was feeling left out until I discovered it. Fun! Anyway...)

O.k. well, since I am not an expert on cross polination, I will leave it to the more experienced gardeners to help you out. I would also be curious to find out their answers.

Again, WELCOME!

BBH

Empera

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Completely newbie here also, :p but I heard that putting beans (a plant that puts tons of nitrogen into the soil) around nitrogen sucking plants like corn will help a ton.

I know your asking for what NOT to plant next to each other, but this website should show you what is okay.

Here's a website a fellow member gave: "Companion Planting"

Oh, duhh. Almost forgot. Welcome to TEG! It's a wonderful forum with great and experienced people.

Empera

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
If you check this link, it mentions foes as well as companions.
Oops, I guess I didn't look at too thoroughly :rolleyes: I was only looking at beans. Silly me.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah I live by that website since I'm a totally new at veggie gardening. I have my corn going now, and I'm planting my beans in there too. They will grow up the corn so I don't have to trellis them.

I mixed Marigolds in with my eggplant and tomatoes... I also added some basil to my tomato bed.

I have potatoes in a pot completely seperate from any of my other plants just because. I have some onions mixed in with my strawberries....

My cantaloupe is in with my cucumbers... and my carrots are just finishing up in the same bed.

I'll be randomly mixing in lettuce, spinach and radishes with all these beds for shade and pest control.

Use the fore mentioned website... you'll love it.

:welcome

Empera

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
vfem said:
Yeah I live by that website since I'm a totally new at veggie gardening. I have my corn going now, and I'm planting my beans in there too. They will grow up the corn so I don't have to trellis them.
I've never grown either, but I would think that the bean vines might "suffocate" the corn? :idunno Just a thought.

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Peas don't like to have peppermint growing nearby. I can't really remember any other no-no combo's, but usually check the book, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" for more clues.

Latest posts