What Processed Foods Do You Buy?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Few of us can totally avoid buying processed foods at the grocery store, so what's your favorite poison of choice? :lol: I have to admit, in addition to all my fresh veggies, home canned vegetables,fruit preserves and jelly, home raised eggs and occasional chicken butchered in the back yard, I am a junk food junkie. :drool

I love chocolate......M&M's, Hershey bars
Ice cream -- Bluebell anything
Potato Chips
Frozen entrees for my mother's lunch, since she thinks leftovers are the Spawn of Satan
Cake mix
Bisquick for buttermilk pie and beer biscuits
Canned spaghetti sauce
Cereal
Spam (sliced thin and fried to a crisp)
Popsicles
Velveeta cheese for mac 'n cheese

Still thinking........brain is choked off by build up of junk food crud..........

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am trying to get to the point where we don't have to buy too many processed foods. The only things I HAVE to buy at the store is :

Milk ( and it's almost 4 bucks a gallon here)
cereal
our meats (except chicken)
sugar
cheese
butter
flour
shortening
lunch meats
potato chips
pastas
tuna

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's ok. You get the idea. I would like to make as much food at home as possible, but sometimes its just easier to buy it at the store.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We do freeze and can a variety of things for use during the year. It's pretty tough to be completely self sufficient though. Our store bought grocery list would be similar to the two of you folks also. Except...for the "SPAM".:lol:

Tony

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder what the list would have looked like 100 years ago, or 150 years ago:
1: sugar
2: coffee
3: salt
4: flour
5: baking powder
6: raisins
Of course, for the "city slickers" the list would include meat and eggs and cheese, probably, and butter and milk. Fresh veggies.
Certainly no Cool Whip, Cocoa Puffs or Febreeze.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Velveeta from Kraft is real cheese, not a spread which contains oil. Or at least use to be. I haven't looked at label in decades. Grew up near where Kraft made it.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Few of us can totally avoid buying processed foods at the grocery store, so what's your favorite poison of choice? :lol: I have to admit, in addition to all my fresh veggies, home canned vegetables,fruit preserves and jelly, home raised eggs and occasional chicken butchered in the back yard, I am a junk food junkie. :drool

I love chocolate......M&M's, Hershey bars
Ice cream -- Bluebell anything
Potato Chips
Frozen entrees for my mother's lunch, since she thinks leftovers are the Spawn of Satan
Cake mix
Bisquick for buttermilk pie and beer biscuits
Canned spaghetti sauce
Cereal
Spam (sliced thin and fried to a crisp)
Popsicles
Velveeta cheese for mac 'n cheese

Still thinking........brain is choked off by build up of junk food crud..........
bay run away with me..... :D
hope your not thinking i'm spamming you.. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spam stores well and is great to have on hand when hurricanes strike. :lol: Besides, we actually like the stuff, but with ALL the salt and preservatives!! :gig

And Majorcatfish.......I buy KC Masterpiece and Progresso soup too! I'm pantry spammin' ya' back! :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with the cool weather we are having today 60 degrees< in august>
we are having a processed dinner
grilled cheese sandwiches and clam chowder soup...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good Major! I've got a beef roast in the oven with a dry packet of onion soup (processed stuff again) carrots and potatoes. Violet's Multicolored Butterbeans are simmering on the stove with some bacon, Louisiana Green Velvet okra is waiting to be fried and tall glasses of sweet tea to wash it down. Then tomorrow........LEFTOVERS!! :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Sounds good Major! I've got a beef roast in the oven with a dry packet of onion soup (processed stuff again) carrots and potatoes. Violet's Multicolored Butterbeans are simmering on the stove with some bacon, Louisiana Green Velvet okra is waiting to be fried and tall glasses of sweet tea to wash it down. Then tomorrow........LEFTOVERS!! :lol:
Bay, how do you fry your okra?

I love Doritos any flavor

Latest posts