What Seeds are You Saving?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
- X-number of years will pass no matter what. And at the end of that time, I'd like to have the slow plants rather than nothing!
Men:
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Women:
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

All:
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another

Laden with happiness and tears

Potato leaf, fruit as big as a brandywine with a rich yellow-orange color and very good flavor. ... Gold something or other...
No help ... There are a couple yellow beefsteak I have tried, was delighted with the fruit, but they were just too late maturing. One was Dr. Wyche's and Earl of Edgecomb was the other.

Kellogg's Breakfast is often in my garden. It's productive but late; I also like its name ;). Azoychka is one that will mature but the 2 seasons that I had them, the plants grew in a straight line. It didn't fit with my sprawl approach because it would shoot across paths. Good candidate for tying to a tall stake.

Rambling ... but that's what I do when the subject turns to tomatoes ...

;) Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only seeds I saved from last years garden are about a pound of sunflower seeds lol. The problem with sunflower seeds is they easily cross and don’t know what you will get next year. We only grew two different kinds last season, one type grew about 10/11’ ft. tall with multiple heads, and the others were only about 18” tall and hybrid. Not sure what will come from them. Angie saved her usual flower seeds, plus she was able to stop by some of her friends houses and collect perineal seeds to start for herself. She has already planted most of the perennials and most of them have popped up already. I also plan on harvesting some seeds from last years birdhouse goards for this season. This coming season I need to save some NY:rainbowflower tomato seeds to keep my supply up .

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Men:
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Women:
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as we gaze

All:
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another

Laden with happiness and tears
All I can think of is Fiddler on the Roof. I'm sure it has more context than that. But even if it doesn't...fantastic movie!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
and if you have the stomach for it, road kill... wish i could have claimed the deer last week at the end of the driveway since it had probably been grazing on our garden plants all season.

normally if anyone hits anything in the road i do pick it up and bury it in a garden because i don't want to smell it decomposing for the next few months. better to put it to good use and it does really eventually make the gardens really fertile.
Store seeds in tightly sealed glass containers. You can store different kinds of seeds, each in individual paper packets, together in a large container. Keep seeds dry and cool. A temperature between 32° and 41°F is ideal, so your refrigerator can be a good place to store seeds.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing I will miss from throwing those seeds away is a tomato my aunt sent me. Potato leaf, fruit as big as a brandywine with a rich yellow-orange color and very good flavor. The writing was too faded for me to make out the variety name, but it was Gold something or other. I will have to scour the internet to see if I can find it again.
There is a Yellow Brandywine which is potato-leaf. Lots of other large yellow/gold/orange tomatoes out there, but most are regular leaf.

Probably not the same tomato you are searching for, but I've grown & saved seeds for Summer Cider; it is potato-leaf, with fruit in the 8-16+ ounce range. Very juicy, probably how it got its name. What I liked best about it was that the blossom end was nearly always smooth, so very little waste when slicing. If you'd like to try it, just send me a PM.

Latest posts