What Should I Do With This Sh-, er, um, ahem, cough Manure

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We always put manure directly on the garden. It sits all winter and will be tilled in as soon as soil can be tilled. That can be as early as march for us in NE. We also have always put fresh chicken manure on the garden in early spring. tilled it in , and planted corn on top of it. It's against all the rules with chicken manure-but it works for us.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just wish I had your problems. I have chickens and do get some compost but I am looking for someplace to buy it by the yard this year for the beds I am planning on putting in. Enjoy your ... crap.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have always composted my horse poop so it heats up enough to kill some of the weed seeds. Now the horses are all out on a huge pasture so I have chicken, goat, sheep and milk cow to build up the garden here. Love it when the critters supply me with everything i need!! :throw

Tony O

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Poultry manure is to hot to put on live growing plants, but you can spread it on thick this time of year. By spring that garden will be ready to go.
:weight
Years ago, when horses were still the main mode of transportation, my grandpa would go into the street several times a day and scoop up the fresh house manure and put it directly in his garden. He had some of the best veggies an healthiest roses in town.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
New question, same subject. We're having a mild winter here and I plan on planting (try saying that 5 times real fast :) ) about the middle of February. When should I quit putting raw stuff into the garden area?

Latest posts