What should I use to shade the roots of my Clematis?

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Now I understand the pile of boulders that my clematis is growing out of! When we moved in and were cleaning up the patio area, we found a beautiful blue clematis growing in the middle of a pile of rocks that are HUGE. Been planning on moving the rocks, but now I can tell DH that I'm not lazy, it's good for the plant!! :happy_flower

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have read that Irises are great for shading Clematis roots and Irises are very easy to grow.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Herechickchick said:
I have read that Irises are great for shading Clematis roots and Irises are very easy to grow.
:frow

My only thought about this suggestion is that all the clematis I grow need a very rich, moisture retaining soil & plenty of water (especially in the first 3 years of growing). They also benefit from a deep mulch of compost every winter; this is just what iris don't need. Maybe conditions here in the Uk are very different. I would love to hear from gardeners who have grown them successfully this way. :)

Hattie

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use sweet alyssum as a gound cover around veggies to keep roots cool in hot weather. It should work just as well on clematis. The roots are not very competitive and it grows quite thick but not very high,

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I vote for sweet alyssum too!! It looks great, smells great, dies back in winter, reseeds itself... What more can you ask for??? I have it everywhere and it has become one of my favorites. The minute I step out my door, I can smell it!!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too prefer rocks around my roots. However, I like somewhing a little more substantial to avoid trampling by kids and pets and to create a little visual interest. love all these ideas!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
I too prefer rocks around my roots. However, I like somewhing a little more substantial to avoid trampling by kids and pets and to create a little visual interest. love all these ideas!
:frow :frow

:welcome

I agree, with you & I often plant herbaceous or semi-herbaceous clematis at the base of the climbers. I have found that this one, "Durandii" is particularly successful.....it also has the most stunning royal blue flowers & loves being in the sun. It is not a climber at all. One of mine is planted with a Hebe & lays gracefully over it.

http://www.clematis-nursery.co.uk/page62.html

Here are some other options.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=&...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=478

Hattie

miss maximus

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I found that cutting a plastic plant pot up one side and part of the bottom, it wraps around your clematis roots perfectly, but choose the right size, and you can use any colour, I choose green.Hope your clematis grows happily.

Latest posts